divingduck

college skydiving teams

I posted something similar before, but here goes again in a different forum:

how many colleges have skydiving teams? Ours supposedly has one, but I might be given the chance to be in charge of it next year and I want to build it back up (there is one person, but she might not return), and for other reasons that I don't want to post publicly, I have a few...shall we say discrepencies? with joining the team at the moment (feel free to pm me if you are curious). Any comment, questions, rude gestures??? thanks a lot!:P

If I loved you anymore I would have a stroke

Texas A&M University (where I go, duh:P) has a Skydiving Club that fields a couple teams each year.

The problem is that majority of the club doesn't really care and I'm really the only hard-core jumper in the club, the rest of them either don't care about trainging to field a good 4-way or a good FF team, or they just don't really care, or they just don't really care, then there's a couple that do care, but that's not enough for a 4-way and they're not FFers...

Now if only there was a swoop competition at Collegates...B|

(although I did sport acc this past year, placed 9th b/c I decided to turn it into a swoop competition after I misunderstood the rules and got fucked on my first dive (after hitting a dead center).:ph34r:

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

We're pretty much in the same situation as AggieDave. We have a club here at Georgia Tech with about 10 jumpers right now. We have one 4way team, GT Inviscid. This is our only team though in any discipline. In fact, I think we are quite lucky to have found 4 people willing to make the commitment to a team (not to mention get second jobs to help pay for it). We have some other jumpers who do go out and jump regularly but we also have many who barely meet the currency requirements.

I am on our 4way team and the president of the club. If you have any questions about either feel free to email me or post them here.

I was talking to Doug at the DZ Saturday night after you guys left. He has nothing but praises for GT Inviscid. That impressed me coming from a National Champion. Next time you guys are practicing I'd like to see some of the video.

BTW,Just in case all you DZ.commers didn't know
Allison is a real cutie.;)

Blue Skies
Steve
Ok, so it's pink, but I'm secure in my manhood, and I still look cool coming in under it!

Yep, I'll be there to watch the rain fall

Ahh, you're a pessimist, huh. There's only a 30% chance it will rain. So the glass is like 70% full.;)
I'll be there around 4 or 4:30, and I will get some jumps in!!

Blue Skies
Steve
Ok, so it's pink, but I'm secure in my manhood, and I still look cool coming in under it!

Clemson (yeah I knoew its in South Carolina) is the only one I know of in that region. But you might try looking around for schools that are close to Louisberg (Carolina Sky Sports).

(edited for spelling)
--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

Hey, you were at the Holiday Boogie in Eloy in January, weren't you? I just realized you're the guy who was sitting in front of me (on the floor of the DC-3), and I was making faces at you... You probably don't remember me anyway, but I remember you had a shirt or something on that said GT Inviscid... anyway... I'm not stalking you. I swear. ;)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Kansas State University has a parachute club. We had 2 FF teams at collegiates in Eloy and then some of our other members just came down to fun jump. We don't have a 4 way team or anything, but our club is pretty large. We flew 550 loads last year, pretty good for a single cessna DZ. That we know of, our club is also the only collegiate club that owns and operates our own DZ. We were established in 1962 and still going strong.

www.ksu.edu/ksupc

blue :ph34r:'s

chris

The Status in the UK is -
We actually have a NGB (National Governing Body) for Collegiagte Parachuting called the BCPA (British Collegiate Parachuting Association) - which is affiliated to the BPA.

There's about 30 college teams, out of about 120 Universities in this country. I'm not sure of the actual numbers which have competing teams though.

As with most things the standard varies from top teams, which are well run are a regulars at their local DZ down to Clubs which only go once a month or so.

And of course some DZ are very envouraging to Student jumpers, and often work along side uni clubs to promote parachuting.

Useful Links:
British Collegiate Parachute Association
----------
Ben G
Still Sinking :-(

;) Yes I was, and I do remember you making faces at me, it made me smile. You have a very good memory to remember I shirt I was wearing 5 1/2 months ago, you must have been taken by my handsomely good looks ;) j/k.

It was probably the act of my running after my gloves after they flew out of my helmet as the DC3 was loading then me holding up the line while I started to go after them then gave up and got on the plane, only to have a really nice guy bring me the gloves.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

Yes, there is a collegiate skydiving club at Clemson. I'm the incoming president for next year. We have a great club of close friends, plans for a 4 way team were foiled by a broken femur. The good news is, the femur is much better (wasn't mine) and is jumping again. I'm hoping to form a 4 way team over the summer.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

We had 2 FF teams at collegiates in Eloy

I think it would be really cool to get at least 1 rw team to go to Eloy, we have the coaching and experience out there to do it (Jesse, Frenchman, most others) :)
I wonder if i can form an intermediate one over the summer and have it ready for Eloy.......

sds

Edited Because I can't spell or even write in complete sentences.
"Me, An F in English?? Thats Unpossible!"
=========Shaun ==========

The University of Maryland has a club but no team... yet. We've got a bunch of guys that joined the club this year that have either recently gotten their licenses or will be getting them soon, and at least a few are interested in competing. I don't know if there'll be enough motivation to train enough to be competitive, but I hope they try to form a team at least.

I've been the president of the club for the last couple years. Graduating in a week. For the new and future club presidents, all I can say is hold on tight cause it's gonna be a wild ride. :)

Dave
http://www.umdskydiving.com