base698

Talking to wuffo's about...

Skydiver always talk about how so few people die. Essentially, that is true. However, they tell a lie of omission. They don't talk about how many people are messed up. How many have enough metal in them to set off a detector or walk with a permanent limp.

Skydiving is dangerous. It may not kill you, but it will definitely add some lines to your health record. Do not tell wuffos that it is safe. It is not.

People need to realize that your odds of dying are not dependent on what people have done in the past. They are not dependent on what everyone else in the world is doing. They are dependent on what you are doing for this jump. Your odds are dependent on, among other things,

1. weather
2. proper packing (by you and your rigger)
3. what kind of crazy maneuvers you are pulling vs. your experience level
4. gear, inspection, proper use
5. your reaction to malfunctions and bad situations
6. the people you are jumping around

The only ones that a jumper can not alter are the weather and the people around you, and if either disturb you, it is your responsibilty to control yourself and not jump.
It is true that risk can not be eliminated, but by looking at the fatality roundup in Parachutist a couple months ago, it is apparent that most of the reasons people are dying are preventable ones. You can't get too comfortable skydiving... you have to maintain a certain fear and respect for the margin of error skydiving gives you.

Hehehe...I was usualy the kid who fell from the roof while trying to ride a bike on there, or broke an ankle after (almost) leaping over a 4 meter pitt, breaking my colar bone after falling from a tree and so on...

People who know me and talk to me about skydiving and safety usualy reply with "Damn...your such a fuckup....if your still alive after 2 years of jumping it MUST be safe!!!!!"
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?