andy2

thread spinoff, riding the plane down for instructors?

I always used to tell my students that if they ever saw the pilot leave without them, they should feel free to exit as quickly as they possibly could.

"My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

The emergency exit is right on my left here. If you see me go through this door then please, follow me quickly."

STR
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

There is a line between inspiring confidence and making someone believe they're OK when they know they're not.

It's my job to teach technique, and theirs to find the courage to jump. I'll show them where to look, but I can't give it to them.

First refusal, I ride down.

Second, I strap student into seat next to pilot, I turn cypres off, I leave... but there are exceptions to that rule.

I have ridden down on 5 consecutive Level 5's with the same student. I knew she had it, but it took her time to find it. She does base now, after a 30 min debate on the bridge!:D

t
It's the year of the Pig.

"I'd be way too embarrassed to not jump"

And right there, you have the reason I did my 1st jump!

About 2200 dives later, I was in a Bell Jetranger hovering 1800ft over a stadium filled to capacity with 68000 spectators at the 1995 Rugby World Cup final. Press choppers flying about, I had six visual, I hoped they had me visual too. The game had gone to extra time, the light was fading, and the 40kg flag between my legs was getting heavy. "Just a little pressure here, don't fuck up, don't fuck up," going through my head. Breathe, calm. Calm.

All this is, is a 3 second delay, and then land on the field. You can do it. And off we went. It was SO worth it.

Of course we doubt ourselves. I've felt that feeling pre-exit at a dozen Nationals, at the world meet, on the grid, in the days I raced superbikes, stepping up to spar with my nemesis in wing chun, aproaching the wall on a climb that had repeatedly kicked my ass. It's what makes us human. I wouldn't change it for the world. It signals life.

t
It's the year of the Pig.