flygirl60

Level 5 next

Some of you may have read my earlier post that I did my level 1 and it didn't go too well. I redid my level 1 and it went great and I am now fixing to go on level 5. I am a bit nervous because although I passed my level 4 I didn't feel that I had very good control. I keep having to correct unintentional turns and couldn't stop where I was supposed to. I also felt like I was bumping around like a cork in the surf. my instructor said it was because I was so nervous that I was tensing up (I am having a lot of trouble relaxing during freefall) but unlike my first attempt at level 1 I didn't get tunnel vision one problem and forget everything else. I just said to myself okay you got to work on this and went on. I did land in the parking lot, but n my defense I was on a brand new chute, which my instructor said flat sailed (whatever that means) and there was no wind. Okay enough with the excuses at least I didn't hit a car:P
ahhh well maybe level 5 today if it doesn't rain;)

You already know the answer to your little problem: YOU ARE NOT RELAXING, so, that's the first thing you have to do, next, the unintentional turns, check your legs, do a couple of toe taps, and also check your arms they have to be symetrical, one little trick, if you look ahead, you should see your thumbs with the corner of your eyes, if so, your arms are leveled and symetrical.

Keep up the good work, and for Pete's sake: RELAX!!! :)

I graduated from AFF this past Monday. I had to repeat Level 5. Honestly, just relax in the air as much as you can. I have 17 jumps now and the nervousness while in the plane has STARTED to go away slowly. It's a lot of pressure when you have to worry about performing certain things in the air while only having jumped a few times! Think about it. So just stay as focused as possible and just think ahead to when you graduate and can jump on your own. It is completely worth it. Good luck and I'm sure you will graduate soon!

.-.

I'm a newbie myself, so I'm just relaying what a more experienced person told me. It worked for me. A box position is when all of your control surfaces are neutral to the wind. Your arms and legs are doing nothing with the wind. If you want to go somewhere, or turn, you need to press on the wind. That requires force. If you're spinning, something is pressing on the wind. Relax. When you relax, your muscles stop pressing on the wind, and the wind puts you in a neutral position all by itself. Just relax and feel the wind. Have fun, and let your skydive do your work for you.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

*** Sounds like you are comming along quite nicely!
Help me out here: I was trained on the Dope Rope, but what are you expected to do in level 5?
===============S. Smith================
as I understand it after being released I have to do 360 turns and forward tracking. I guess checking for control, funny I am clumsy as hell on the ground I just thank god there is nothing to trip over up there;)

It's a lot of pressure when you have to worry about performing certain things in the air while only having jumped a few times! Think about it. So just stay as focused as possible and just think ahead to when you graduate and can jump on your own.

Thanks I like hearing from other newbies as well as the 'old hands' because the newbies are not far from where I am at now. I keep telling myself that all of this work and stress is for the final goal, the time that I will be able to fly with confidence alone.
I don't think I am going to stress clearing level 5 on the first try, if I do great if not I am just going to work on body position and relaxing, if I get that right I will go on and try to do the rest of the things I am suppose to do.

Ive just recently passed my AFF also. The only advice I can give is the same as everyone else...RELAX!!

It really is amazing the difference it makes, especially when you are doing task like turning etc.

Good Luck ;)

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

gomeon flygirl60... don't push yourself to hard. You're doing this for fun or do you want to make a living out of it. I started on the dump-rope and I am also working on the 360 turns but I laugh at them when they tell me I've to do it again. Tjee you get in the plain again..mmm... ehmm... ok but only because you're the jump master.;);););):ph34r:

Have a great time and enjoy it...
Stephan

Someone said to me " Skydiving is not that difficult. It is to keep skydiving for the rest of your life that is the trick. Stay focussed and relax and enjoy"