JoriT

Almost an Accident-How do you deal with it

On my last jump, the situation could have turned very ugly with an error on my part with the track. Everything turned out o.k., but without going into detail about the incident, I got to thinking about injury and death. I can handle it if I hurt or even kill myself due to something I did in a skydive, but, I don't think I could live with it if I hurt/killed someone else. I know the risks we all take as jumpers, and that is fine for myself....but what about the others??????????? Any comments?????

The great part about what happened to you (as well as the rest of us who have survived close calls) is that we're given a 2nd chance to learn from the mistake and hopefully never repeat it. I've been on bonus days since the early 80s when I came close to being killed in a car accident, but I'm sure I have one (if not more) skydiving bonus days as well.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

We all know the risks involved with skydiving and it is not going to go perfect everytime. The instructors, JM's etc... know that with a student the are risks that are far greater than with other licensed skydivers. All you can do is learn from your mistake and be glad that nothing ugly happened. Of course since you did not go into detail I cannot fully judge abou the incident without more information.

The incident was pretty simple, and myself and the other jumper discussed it in length, along with other instructors, and I have learned from it, to be sure. I almost droped when the other jumper asked to go back up in the air with me!!!!!!!! Gotta love the skydivers

We as skydivers trust the people that we are jumping with. If someone does something that puts me at risk, I'll sit down and talk to him/her and give them another chance. If they do it again, I won't jump with them.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey