Lostinspace

Newbie question, wages.

Are you familiar with the concept of "piece work"?

Unless you are working at a fairly large and busy drop zone -- you'll probably also become familiar with the food stamp program.

In the north eastern part of the U.S. I have a difficult time understanding how anyone would make it through the winter.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Are you familiar with the concept of "piece work"?

Unless you are working at a fairly large and busy drop zone -- you'll probably also become familiar with the food stamp program.

In the north eastern part of the U.S. I have a difficult time understanding how anyone would make it through the winter.

Yeah..what he said! :(

Ever seen a fat AFF instructor???? ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I was a teacher before I was a full time skydiver. I'm making about the same money now as I was before. It's not that bad. If you live in the Northeast, just realize that you'll have to migrate south in the winter. Don't plan on getting rich, but plan on having a lot of fun.

Suppose one day I quit my job to become a skydiving instructor, what kind of wages would I be looking at? {North East USA}

Instructors that have tandem and AFF ratings and do some packing, and then migrate south for the winter, can make as much as 30,000 to 40,000 dollars. Most must buy their own gear and health insurance, and finding work in the winter is tough.

You can learn a bit more about employment options in my book JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy published this year by McGraw-Hill. It's available at many drop zones, local bookstores, and online booksellers such as Amazon.com.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Suppose one day I quit my job to become a skydiving instructor, what kind of wages would I be looking at? {North East USA}

After being involved in private jet charter for 17 years, I got fed up with it and quit. I turned my skydiving hobby into a full time job, being AFF & Tandem rated. Two years later I was begging to get back into jet aircraft charter. IMHO, skydiving was to weather dependent and political to count on much of a living.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Don't forget, if you get injured, you're on the ground not making any money.

There are many many professional skydivers that live in trailers, have no health insurance, and drive junky old cars and trucks. That alone might indicate something.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

At least I was smart when I worked at the DZ. I was in a nice AC office. I could contuine to work even after I broke my ankle.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

At least I was smart when I worked at the DZ. I was in a nice AC office. I could contuine to work even after I broke my ankle.

I didn't know "Event Jumpers" had time to work. You know, travel-event, travel-event, ect.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I didn't know "Event Jumpers" had time to work. You know, travel-event, travel-event, ect.
Sparky

That's why I had to give up work. It was getting in way of my travels.:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Instructors make low wages, work long hours, have to put up with shit from everyone. But they are the future of our sport. They have first contact with the public and have a lot to do with weather people come back and become "Skydivers". God bless them, without them we will end up jumping alone.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals