EricTheRed

killer cows (I could have used the Aggie's help)

Friday had a great jump with a couple of friends, nailed the dive. Was feeling great - good opening and look around. Shit, flipper has a cutaway.
Since he's relatively new - now on a round - and pretty obviously NOT going to make the DZ, I followed him in.

He did GREAT, almost stood up the landing in a field just off the airport that was FULL OF COWS!
Normally not a big deal but these cows were PISSED.

One in particular was snorting, jumping and pawing dirt, and trying to stampede ME!

I know I could get hurt skydiving but I sure as F*K don't want my obit to read "stomped by angry heffer"

All turned out ok - final total was

1-case for first reserve ride for flipper
1-bottle JD for the rigger
1-case of beer for losing the reserve handle
1-very stinky jumpsuit (he said it was cow shit but who knows)

Overall a geat story but that cow had me on the run for a while.
illegible usually

lol, I can just imagine that scene in my head. Funny stuff. Glad to hear your friend executed his emergency procedures correctly.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Was it a bull? Sounds like it. Cows are usually just curious, they'll run away when you land, then wonder back up to see what it is that just landed...

Talk to them, don't go running away/make quick movements if one is pissed off. Just walk away calmly (while watching it)...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

At least Eric knows to ask for an Aggies help with this one;)

When I'm teaching in SoCal I always tell them that back home in Central TX where I'm from we tell students about one obstacle / landing situation that we don't need to teach out there.

Bunch of cows in field... OK One cow in field...not cow... BULL!!!

Missed seeing you on Saturday man. I think you knew I was going to be there and passed so that you wouldn't have to buy me that beer you keep telling people you owe me!

Talk to them, don't go running away/make quick movements if one is pissed off.

As AggieDave's jump pilot, I believe that he doesn't communicate by talking or with sounds. I think they recognize his scent as one of their own.

Hey Dave, how many times did I have to open the window today? That's not counting the one you saved for me once the door was open :S:S:S

--------
Benefitting from the 'free capture of verticality.'

Was it a bull? Sounds like it. Cows are usually just curious, they'll run away when you land, then wonder back up to see what it is that just landed...

of course, if the cows have horns, and they have calves, and you are between the calves and cows, then its a whole different ballgame... trust me on this one ;)

MB 3528, RB 1182

It was a cow. No horns but she did have a calf. There were a couple of calves in the herd and I think they were being protective. Fortunately, Flipper used to ride rodeo bulls and helped out. Still I was the primary target and I was ready to ditch my gear and sprint to the fence.

Went home and had a nice big steak, just for revenge (it's nice to be at the top of the food chain!)
illegible usually