steve1

Anyone else like doing demos?

I did a demo jump the other day into a fair and rodeo. The dz was kinda tight with squirrelly winds. There were lot's of spectators in the stands waiting to watch someone get killed. The adrenaline was really pumping when we left the plane. We had a good spot and did a five way out of the 206. The other jumpers were mostly old farts that I used to jump with in the old days. What a rush! Everyone did standups, in calm winds, in the right spot, with lot's of hooping and hollering. Can't wait to do it again. Of course I had to buy beer in the beer garden for all my pals for a first fair jump. Man, I'd love to have a pro rating and do more of this! Demo jumps are great as long as everything goes as planned. I guess that's the sticking point though. There's a lot that can go wrong........Steve1

I have done some very, very cool demos and get great satisfaction out of putting a canopy down on target in front of a big crowd. That said, I have had some incredibly hairy experiences where crowd control got lax, weather conditions changed dramatically, or equipment malfunctioned. Oddly, my favorite, highest profile demo which, luckily, worked out perfectly, almost ended up with me chopping my main and malfunctioned American flag and it's line 1500 feet over FedEx field at 9:00pm on Monday Night Football. Unbelievable. I got the line semi-unfouled and landed on the indian head with the flag flying proudly, but it was very un-nerving until I had the field goal net suspension cable made.

I have also had just as much fun jumping into small fourth of July celebrations out of a Cessna 182 with my dad and them back in my hometown. Demonstration parachuting is a rewarding discipline. I was lucky enough to get exposed to it at a very young age. I clearly remember my dad posing as Santa Claus, landing on top of the Roses store in Midway Plaza under a ParaCommander. I didn't actually figure out it was him until I was five I think...LOL

Chuck

I was one of four jumpers that did a demo into Shaw AFB last October. Landed right in front of the Thunderbirds. Man that was a fun demo.

2 weeks ago I was one of two that did a demo for the American Cancer Society into a middle school football field. Thought about hooking though the uprights, but I didn't want to press my luck. I did scare the crap out of them with the 180 degree left riser.

Man I love a good Demo.

im in the process of organising a demo into my old high school. It'll be my first so Im happy that its litterally under the jump run of a good DZ (should get ordinary ticket cost) and the landing area is about the same size as the student area at my home DZ so not even any hazzards.

Demo's are awesome. No matter what they are or where they are it always makes me feel like i did on my first jump.

On Sunday i done the coolest and most memorable jump of my jumping career so far.

Myself and 3 others jumped out of 4 Tiger Moths flying in close formation over the top of Woburn Abbey - Everyone landed on the "T" to a massive applause from the biggest crowd I have ever jumped in front of.

I wanna DO MORE:)
"Don't ever knock on deaths door, just ring the bell and run away - it really pisses him off"

What's a demo? ;)

An opportunity to experience the thrill of risking your life, personal reputation, and the reputation of our sport in front of sponsors, reporters, FAA reps, friends, family, and lots and lots of other people and, if all goes well, have the crowd's unwavering worship for up to 5 seconds after you land!

Of course if all doesn't go well it can kind of suck.

Walt

Demos are the greatest! I recently done my first "official" demo in to a swimming pool area(not the water):P and enjoyed the rush not to mention all the attention!

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!

I love doing demos. Last year due to an injury I was not able to renew my ejr (Cdn. exhibition jump rating), however two weeks ago I was finally able to get the jumps in and I;m scheduled for one at a charity air show next week out the Canadian Warplane Heritage DC-3.

Not doing them last year I was able to think alot about the purpose of doing demos... It's not about the ego, or even the 'sport' necessarily - it's about the audience. If it gives us a chance to get some of these young kids thinking outside the box and about what they can accomplish in life a demo can have a big effect on someone...

That's why I think more women should get involved in demo jumping... It's never a problem to get guys to go and strut their stuff, and the boys love it - but for the young girls in the crowd it's great if you can have some accomplished female jumpers who can even come down and show up the guys so the girls can see that they too can get involved and excel in athletics...

Cheryl Stearn, eileen Vaughn come to mind....

I think many women don't seem as interested in doing demos, but I think female role-models are something we should be trying to present as well as the dare-devil alpha-male.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

What's a demo? ;)

An opportunity to experience the thrill of risking your life, personal reputation, and the reputation of our sport in front of sponsors, reporters, FAA reps, friends, family, and lots and lots of other people and, if all goes well, have the crowd's unwavering worship for up to 5 seconds after you land!

Of course if all doesn't go well it can kind of suck.

That's one of the descriptions I've ever heard Walt!

I was the guy that had a 2000 foot sniveler over downtown Houston on the 4th of July...

Kinda sucked, but at least I didn't land out. :D

Walt

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~