johnny1488

God damn, first cutaway!

Ok here I go with the abridged version.

Regular jump using my xfire2 169 loaded just under 1.4. After I deploy at 3.5 it snivels, snivels, and starts to look like it might go off heading to the right. I try to stay level, then the canopy goes to the right and I dont. I have I think 1.5 twists. I reach up to help twist out of it, Im not sure if I popped a toggle or twisted the harness, but it started to spin and dive till I was on my back, then belly going real fast. I went to check my altitude and before my brain could register what my eyes saw, I said fuck that and grabbed my handles. ON pull sent my flying into freefall. With handle firmly in my right I got stable and dumped my reserve, all before my hard deck warning went off. Protrack says I was open by 1600. I heard the warning alarm just as I saw my reserve.

Got my canopy, sacrificed a tree, jiggled my freebag down and was on sunset load the next day after doing a few jumps on borrowed gear.

Bought my beer during a killer blackout and suprised myself with how well I handled myself. Overall a good addition to my week of being a makeshift DZ bum!

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Well how about this. 10 days later and I have #2!!!
Asshole that I am popped a toggle when I reached for the rear risers when it was snivelling. Spunn me harder. Something smashed my glasses as I cut away and broke the left side, 3 ring maybe? more to come

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Geez Johnny,

I had one similar on my Stilleto about two years ago. I was making a freefly jump with Larry Simmons (crazylarry) at Skydive Dallas. I didn't stow my right brake properly and the right toggle keeper got ripped from the riser on opening. The canopy started to go into a hard right spin but I grabbed the left rear riser and brought the canopy .back over my head and released the left brake and toggle and the rest of the flight was uneventful. Needless to say Larry, being a rigger, severely chastised me when we got back upstairs as he was repairing the riser with a new toggle keeper. I learned a valuable lesson from that one.

I had an opening on the same canopy about three months ago that it tried to go into a left hand dive on opening and I brought the canopy back over my head with the right rear riser. I had about 5 line twists after that and I started kicking out of them. By the time I got out of them my Stiletto had taken me about a mile and a half east of the DZ. Since I opened at a comfortable altitude I still made it back. Haven't had a problem since.

Always make sure your brake lines are stowed properly. Give a tug on them above toggles to make sure. Leave enough line in the container per your manufacturers instructions and things should go a lot better on deployment. Also use the small rubber bands to hold the stows. They seem to keep everything tight and in place and give a good even deployment. PD sells the ones they furnish with their canopies when you buy one and they are very reasonably priced and a big bag will last close to a year. Best of luck down the road.

Blue Skies

Chris