Jessica

Does freefly experience REALLY translate into RW skill?

Your 4-way skills will not be the same, but IMO, freeflying helped me with my RW skills, as far as recovery from funnels and exiting in an awkward position. For me, its all about my center point and being able to fly and dock in any position.

I believe it has worked for me, but it may not work for everyone.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Here's a proof is in the pudding example:

Scroll down to the rookie division.
~Gravity Assist is a rookie team that trains.
~Pinky V is a team of rookie RW folk that doesn't train.
~Your Moma's Booties is a team consisting of very capable & advanced freefly folk that just wanted to improve their belly skills and have some fun. I think one did have a suit with grippers on it...well... leg grippers anyway.

http://www.txsl.com/2003_meets.php

Your Moma's Booties switched out the camera position for every jump. Being FF's they all had one. lol.

I think it sorta shows that if you want to fly good enough to be able to turn points, FF doesn't help much. It might also indicate that FF's can have a better sense of fun when it comes to skydiving.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

"Freeflying will help your RW skills, but RW won't do shit for your freeflying."

Um... no. I bet that was told to you be some low time Freeflyer. :P

I learned RW, Freestyle, Camera, and some where in there, Learned to Freefly at a competitive level.

One day I decided to become an AFF instructor. Well I could fly just fine, but had to re-learn some basics. That whole reaching thing was a bugger.

A good freeflyer will learn RW quickly. However he will flail at first since many things you can do on your head do not translate to belly flying.

Good RW flyers learn to freefly quickly and usually more precisely since flying a slot is not a mystery. They too will flail about for a while.

Honestly I believe the skill obtained by becoming proficient at belly RW translates to freefly very quickly.

Freefly skills would translate to RW but unfortunately many freefliers believe it to be boring.

Ah well...
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

"Freeflying will help your RW skills, but RW won't do shit for your freeflying."

I don't know...I have been told I have a very good sit and stand, and I have very few FF jumps, but almost 3,000 total jumps.

A Free Fly friend of mine told me that most people he knows that can belly fly well can sit pretty well.

And this guy who is good on his head failed the AFF course the first time he went.

I don't really think you can compare the two.

I do think that being good at regular RW before going into FF will make you safer than just having FF jumps...But that I am sure is a result of having more jumps...not really the type of jumps.

That being said I hear a lot of FF guys saying RW is easy....Most of these have never really done a lot of RW..

I will grant that FF basics are harder than belly basics.
But I have seen very few FF that can do good 4way. It seems they do a big way or two a year and think all RW is like that.

Not quite the same thing really.

I have seen that it seems more FF don't respect RW than RW guys respect FF.

But I bet I could get a group together that would make them look stupid...just as I would look stupid on a FF jump.

I think its apples and oranges here. I don't think one helps the other more either way..

But for all you freaks...remember it all boils down to pull time, and ANYONE can track for a whole skydive :P
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Damn it .. I was hoping not to agree with you:P

However... while the following is true....

But for all you freaks...remember it all boils down to pull time, and ANYONE can track for a whole skydive

Can you fly circles around another person who's tracking and do it on your back and such? HMM???? B|
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Can you fly circles around another person who's tracking and do it on your back and such? HMM????

how hard can it be???? I used to track like that when I was a student.:o
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Funny stuff here. Those that say "it definitely doesn't ....." certainly won't transfer any skills.

I find that one complements the other skill set and hope that others see it too.

But I also believe it's because I CHOOSE to apply those lessons. Still, it's generalities (how to feel and respond to the wind on surfaces, awareness, mental stuff, etc.). 4-way is more effective as the mantis style is all about harnessing more energy more efficiently - that can translate to FF if you know about it (and vice versa). e.g., if you are aware and solid in your mantis, you can snap a turn just by rolling your ankles - I guess that kind of awareness just isn't applicable the FF?

It's always about how the individual learns. Luckily, humans like to generalize, and then argue about whose generalization is more correct.

I'd like to take a year and only Freefly (it's FUN), I'm sure I'd get good, but I love 4-way just TOO MUCH to devote more than 25 - 35% of my time to FF. And there's also CrW and swooping and base .......

Again, pity the fool that only does one style of skydiving. (still scared of wingsuits, though - soon enough)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants