vonSanta

Good pilots...

have earned their beer.

I went through the AFF program and then got about 36 jumps before I decided it was time to meet the requirement for spotting (need 40 jumps, spotting, packing cert yadda yadda) which is two streamer drops and at least three good spots.

One pilot made the run with the wind on his back.'Uuuhm, turn 45 deg left, head that way, then turn around'. My first spot and it confused me, but I eventually got it right. Second time; I get permission to open door too late. We're past the point where I'd like to get off. Go around. We go around and my spot is a bit off. I annoy my instructor by jumping out at a point before the agreed one (to give the tandem more time, I claimed :)
Second time: nice long approach but far from right direction. Manage to get corrections done.

It must be difficult for the C-182 pilots. I'm sitting up front, head as high as I can and there's no way for me to see the ground ahead of us.

Then on the third one the chief pilot flies. I get permission to open the door on the C-182, look down and we're exactly at the right place, right alt, right heading. I smile and jump.

This dude can do that consistently in all kinds of weather conditions. He's got a couple of thousand jumps himself and has an uncanny ability to judge the wind both on the ground and at altitude.

So, to the good pilots (and the normal, and bad but safe ones), a toast! B|

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

A good jump pilot is worth his weight in gold.

At Richland Skysports we have GPS....."Georges Personal Spot........ :D He is exceptionally talented at putting you right where you wish to be ....

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

have earned their beer.

I completely agree on this. It's one thing to fly a plane on a given heading over a stationary object on the ground...it's entirely another thing to do the above while maneuvering to avoid clouds and ensure the best spot for the jumpers on board.

Thanks Ryan!!!!

Bob

At our club the pilots use visual as well as GPS, so most of the pilots get you where you want to be.

However, when there is a student on-board trying to spot, they are told by the JM to F*** around, fly anything between 0-180 degrees wrong direction, 500-1000m off the line... That makes spotting interesting - especially with one of the pilots, who will turn very hard on any given direction when you ask him to ("a bit left, please" - the plane takes a full 90 degree turn before you can say "oh f****, not that much...) :P:P:P JM might ask the pilot to turn the GPS off too, so the pilot really might need your help on spotting - especially when jumping from 4km...

First of all thanks for recognizing us pilots. Not all of us use GPS to get where were going( not a slam to those who do ) but just like my jumpers I take pride in my skills and always work to make them better. Of course I could tell you the secret of how it's done but then we would be forced to kill you. Got to protect those trade secrets you know.;)

Thanks Rick! I never used a GPS flying jumpers. But, after 10 years at the same DZ, I could spot thru industrial haze, quite easily.

Even the smallest snapshot thru heavy haze and I could figure out a pretty much WTF I was, turn in on jump run and adjust for a good spot...........

a. Student spotting: 5 right
b. Pilot glances at JM: JM mouths 10 left

BUCK