mofo554

Skydiving in the City

Last March, I went out to California for spring break. Before I left, I looked into DZs that would be near where I was going to be (LA and San Diego). I was surprised to find that some of the DZs that advertised themselves as "Skydive City A", were no where near City A. My guess is that it's just a convenient use of a well known city name. This, however, leads to my question. Are there any large cities that have DZs anywhere near (i.e. within 10 miles) them? I realize that DZs require lots of land for the runway and landing area, as well as undeveloped space somewhat nearby in the case of a bad spot, but just thought I'd throw this out there to find out.

Large cities usually have air restrictions due to their airports so DZ's have to be far enough away to stay out of commercial flight paths.

Is it better to be called Skydive X City or Skydiving Place at Main and North Street?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Skydive Monterey Bay is 10-15 minutes from downtown Monterey.. Granted, Monterey is not a big city but it's got a helluva lot more going for it than Z-Hills, Byron, Thomaston, Whitewright, Perris, Elsinore... etc. ;)
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Well here's one for ya.....
When I went to Minisotta, I jumped at skydive Twin Cities. It's in Wisconsin, not even the same state as the Twin Cities.
:P
So I believe it's correct to assume the DZ's just use the name of the largest city closest to them that they will be drawing their clientelle from.

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman