Kramer

How Did 9-11 Effect Skydiving?

I just got into this sport a few months ago, so I wasn't around to see 9-11's effects on the sport of skydiving.

For those of you who were jumping two years ago, enlighten some of us on some of the things skydivers went through during this time period. Thanks.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

The vibe feels different; I think this is because of the economy in general. Not as many tandem student to show for, gas prices hiked, and it's possible that people (in general) have a fear of aircraft unlike prior to Sept 11th.

Legislatively, there have been alteration of the class airspace of airports with (and without) DZ's at them. These changes make it more difficult to perform demo's, etc., etc.

See if you can get issues of Parachutest that were released the following months after September 11th. Under Capital Commentary, you'll see what the USPA was going through during that time. They did a good job reporting how improved security of the country was projected to affect skydivers.

Many more issues with airspace in the vicinity of DZ's, nearly impossible to get waivers for demo jumps for a while(may still be that way, I don't hold a PRO rating so I don't keep up with this), DZ's shut down at the whim of the government due to "national security"(I'm referring mainly to DZ's near government facilities, such as NASA)...

We were grounded for about a month. DZ's lost a ton of money, and many raised prices because of it.

Mike

From the industry standpoint, 9/11 was a major disaster. DZ's couldn't fly, instructors couldn't work, and planes couldn't fly for days. Even once most DZ's got back in the air, most gear dealers had no one wanting to buy gear and far fewer students came out to make jumps. Some people even had to go get real jobs.

imho, we still haven't recovered to where we were at on 9/10/01, but it's better now.

My big memory of 9/11 is sitting at my desk begging the phone to ring... until the boss said screw it, no one is going to call, let's all go home.