atsaubrey

300 lbs and begging volume 2

ok i found someone here in california who will take me on a tandem jump but will only allow 5 seconds of freefall..DAMN. i also talked to gulfcoast skydivers and the instructor (lewis) that i talked to said they could do it and have the equipment on hand, and it would be the AFF course.. HOT DAMN!! only problem is he has to clear it with the DZ owner. IF ANYONE KNOWS THIS GUY please put in a good word for me...BEER WILL BE BOUGHT AND FED-EX'D TO YOU FOR YOUR HELP. can ya'll tell im stoked?
"GOT LEAD?"

after lots of whining and crying lol i got a phone call this morning from Gold Coast Skydivers and i will be starting AFF in a few weeks!!!!!!!!! Wish me luck.

I did do in a good word for you... honest! :)
Now where's the booze?! ;)

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

you will definetly be in the "home sick anvil" club..best of luck to ya

if you wouldn't mind, just for my peace of mind, explain this statement and how it can possibly either motivate this jumper in question or deter him from our sport.
it struck me that you meant no one but other 300 pounders would jump with him and would have a hard time finding jumper partners.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Anvils are heavy and fall fast. His home is earth. Home-sick implies he's gonna be getting back to earth in a damned hurry. Someone who is 300 pounds has a much higher terminal velocity than the overwhelming majority of us, so thus he falls to the earth(his home) faster, hence the "home-sick" statement.

Excuse my completely deadpan and probably needlessly detailed response, but I'm a physics major. ;)

Not necessarily an experienced physics major(I'm 18, woo)so if that's incorrect, correct me by all means. All I know about terminal velocity I learned at a DZ:)

Not necessarily an experienced physics major(I'm 18, woo)so if that's incorrect, correct me by all means. All I know about terminal velocity I learned at a DZ:)

what then, if any opinion do you have on mass? would you agree with newtons law of gravity? would you, or would you not agree that the more mass presented to the relative wind may and could make the object, whatever it is fall slower due to increased drag because of more area of the object, again whatever or whomever it may be? would an object thin and cylindrical not penetrate the relative wind at a faster rate? i always wondered why they made airplanes so slim and cylindrical, now i know why, so they can travel slower.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

See, in a vacuum, everything would fall at the same speed, regardless of anything. Throw in an atmosphere and air with an actual density that you have to travel to, then you get wind resistance, and that's as far as my mind usually took it. Things that presented a larger profile to the wind would go slower 'cuz of increased drag. Well, apparently that's all good and well except there's also terminal velocity, which means something with a greater mass, though having more drag, has a higher top attainable speed than something smaller. Which is why my 5'5ish 130 pound frame gets stuffed into the tightest jumpsuit my sadist/instructors can find! To reduce drag to offset the fact that I won't fall as fast. Or something like that, I really dunno.

There are several posts regarding this and perhaps this will help. It really doesn't matter how much you weigh as much as your height and your weight together. I'm not going to get into a whole physics session here; that's more Kallend's department.

I can however, provide a tool for determining how to a) dress for success, 2) determine if you need weights, or 3) determine if you need a baggier suit and/or with a ZP wing in it.

The optimum number is .3 for average freefall speeds (in RW). If you are below .3 you'll need a a wing. If you are above .3 you'll need weights (if its below .3, you fall faster, if its above .3, you fall slower).

1. Your height in inches.
2. Your "Exit" weight.
3. Divide your height by your weight.

So in my case I'm 6'6" = 78."
My exit weight is 265 lbs.
78/265 = .294

So, while I'm "near" .3 I use a moderate ZP wing with a little bag on my suit when doing 4 way, because formations float a little. If I'm on a ten-way or bigger, I use my large ZP wing & extra baggy suit.

Conversely, someone who is:

1. 78"
2. 200 lbs exit weight
3. 78/200 = .39 will need to "slick suit" themselves or add weights depending on the size of the RW formation

So in the case of a coach or student dive. I use that formula to "get close." If they're above the .3 (depending on how much), I may just slick them down and bag/wing myself. If its a small Instructor, they would slick themselves (perhaps weights too) and bag/wing the student.

In most cases with a student, I'll overly bag and wing myself so as to be able to stay above them (cause you can always get down, but getting back up is a biotch).

And, believe it or not, there's been more than one Anvil that I've had to bag/wing up and me go out in jeans and a shirt. One was 69" with a 285 exit weight (.24)

This method is not the perfect solution, but is a good guage when dealing with a first time student or on a first Coach jump with someone you haven't jumped with before. Over time and with some experience, you get a sense of what you need to do to ensure the "best" possible "dress" scenario for success.