schattenjaeger

Hi, I'm new to these forums, and skydiving...

REALLY new, in fact. As in, I'll be going for my AFF level 3 jump next Thursday. I was wondering, how does the average student usually do on those? My level 1 jump was also my FIRST jump, and I looked a bit flustered, but did everything I was supposed to(practice touches, deployed at the correct altitude, landed safely, etc.)the second time I felt a LOT more comfortable doing it(it was almost scary how non-scared I was)yet both times I de-arched on exit and almost went over onto my back, but corrected it quickly both times. I know I won't pass level 3 unless I exit with some semblance of stability, but I'm pretty sure I've got that down now(it probably didn't help my arch that I was staring at the ground both times as I stepped out) and I've also got leg noise. Everything else is fine, it's just my legs. So, for two jumps, am I just being too harsh on myself, or is that normal? I figure I can't be too bad considering some of the stories I hear from my JMs(like the student who froze after her chute was out and wound up landing like 2 miles away)Heck, my canopy control is good, if nothign else

it was almost scary how non-scared I was

I had the same reaction, I wasn't scared and as it turns out not respectful enough of the sport. Broke my ankle on my AFF level 4 jump Labor Day. Had a hard landing, didn't flair, didn't PLF. Just daydreamed my self into the ground. Believe me, I have a nice healthy fear now...

Blue Skies and Soft Landings.

Level 3 (still fresh in my memory ;)) is all about relaxation because you'll fly loose for a while (don't know if it's the same everywhere), which will be strange the first time, it's like you ride a bike for the first time in your life and trying to keep stable.
I don't think you can ever be too harsh on yourself (but that's just my opinion, I'm a bit fanatical :P) as long as it doesn't come along with tension in your body.

My experience was that after I got relaxed already in the plane (as far as that is possible the first jumps), playing bob marley songs in my head, my jumps went a lot better.

Good luck on thursday, relax and you'll be fine :)
krek wak wou o_0

Oh forgot to add something; although I'm not an instructor (by far :S)so check it with them too:

unstable exits are not that a problem (in later levels you even have to do an unstable exit) as long as you manage to get stable again in a reasonable time (arch). AFF is not about perfectness but to learn you the basics of survival in the air (that's what my instructor told me). Which made me a lot more relaxed than the feeling of "I have to do that perfect turn, or backloop or tracking or they fail me".

and yw

-Hans
krek wak wou o_0

I guess when I say I wasn't scared, I mean I wasn't scared of getting hurt. My survival instincts that day were non-existent. I'd totally convinced myself that skydiving was a pretty safe sport. Well statistically it is because we've got jumpmaster's out there saving space cadets like me from themselves! LOL!

Try keeping the plane in sight when you exit. Worked wonders for me.

How does that work? Do you exit back to earth?

No. I got the same advice, you keep looking up and to the right in my case. It automatically helps us new people with arching. Of course then the jump plane goes 90 degrees nose down and you think "Oh shit, what happened to them?". ;)

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

Thanks for all your advice! The date draws near, and still I haven't been able to convince any of my whuffo friends to come with me! Ah well, we wouldn't feel as priviledged if everyone did it, right? Anyways, another issue of concern for me is weather, though I'm in North Texas so I know it's not too severe. At the rate I'm going, I can afford these things once every 2 weeks(it might be a little more often when the price drops as I go to the upper levels)so that puts me finishing right at the start of November, and that's barring any failures. Early November around here isn't too bad, right?

I remember my JM saying something about a boring skydive when it came to the front and back loops. he told me they sucked because I just did them and was stable. He said the fun ones are where the student goes all out of control and has to work to get stable... bah :D

Have fun and good luck on your affs!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

[reply
No. I got the same advice, you keep looking up and to the right in my case. It automatically helps us new people with arching. Of course then the jump plane goes 90 degrees nose down and you think "Oh shit, what happened to them?". ;)

Bob

Ahh right. Sorry, I jump from a Let usually and dive straight out!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

Hey, good news guys! I just remembered I have this trombone I used to play in high school that I haven't touched since, and have no intention of touching. I've been meaning to get around to selling it, but now might be a good time, as all the money could go to my skydiving fund:) Then I could knock these AFFs out with plenty of time to spare before my hands are freezing to the walls of the airplane