mailin

FOLLOW UP: G-Force question

After speaking to my doctor - he agreed to sign a letter stating that there is no physical reason why I can not participate.

As a matter of fact, after I presented him with the 30+ pages of information I had gathered, he chuckled and said he wasn't worried about the device or leads at all.

What he is worried about is the underlying condition for the device, long qt Syndrome , which I was thankfully able to discuss rationally and we both agreed that with an AAD (which I'd have with a student rig, and plan on purchasing when I have my own rig) I would be just as covered as someone without long qt.

Thanks again for everyone's help - the G-Force answers got technical but I learned alot and appreciated you all taking the time to explain it to me.

I can 'offically' skydive, and look forward to doing it with some of you soon!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

That's good news..but, just remember, an AAD should not be relied upon for any reason. If you have an increased risk of losing consciousness, you may want to rethink this. Even if your AAD does work flawlessly, you can hit a building, land on a highway, end up in a tree, land in water, have line twists, etc. Not to mention that no-flare landings aren't exactly soft whenever you're talking about a square.

It's kind of like the incident discussed in that forum. Yes, the AAD saved the person's life. But the better option would have been not to go into a situation where their risk of losing consciousness is higher. You're facing that risk with every jump.

Hi!

Thanks so much for the concern :)
I have my ICD/pacer because I am genetically disposed to long qt. I had a cousin pass away at a young age (17) and it was later found that he had long qt. After testing my family it was discovered that I have it also. My cousin was a heavy drinker and drug user - which are HUGE no nos with long qt. It is possible to carry the genes and never show any symptoms, as it is in my case. I opted for the ICD/pacer out of fear, whereas my brother opted against it. Neither one of us have ever shown any signs of problems at all. I have done lots of research and take very good care of myself. I try to err on the side of caution, and would do so in sky diving also; as to not put myself or any other divers in jeapordy. As I had explained it to my doctor, if I didn't feel 150% on the day I'd jump - I wouldn't go.

Also - when you get shocked by an ICD you would be conscious immediately. My device would shock me within 4 seconds of any trouble, and I would be 'aware' immediately afterwards - which I feel are pretty fair odds.

Thanks for your concern - sorry to bore everyone with the explaination.

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

ooh ya! My turn to get technical :P

QT actually refers to an interval used by the medical community to characterise the various phases of a heart beat.

The duration of the QT-interval is a measure of the time required for depolarization and repolarization to occur. In long QT syndrome, the duration of repolarization is longer than normal. Thus, the QT-interval is prolonged. An interval above 440 milliseconds (msec) is considered prolonged. QT-prolongation in is due to overload of myocardial cells with positively charged ions during ventricular repolarization.

Confusing enough? :P

Jennifer
Arianna Frances