ScratchTX

What is this - paragliding w/BASE... or...?

Go to http://www.pulseworks.tv/ and click on "featured clips" on the left. The last two clips (bottom right) mystify me -- I see the base jump, but I can't get what else is going on -- someone doing a kind of "Mr. Bill" with a paraglider person, off a bridge? Paraglider canopies look like those toy kites... so you can launch them off a bridge? (Maybe this should be cross-posted in the BASE forum)

paraglider from paraglider... these "toy kites" as you say can be quite powerful... I have myself "toy kites" bigger than many people have their main canopy... 110 sq ft... the largest now are 250 sq feet but not like paraglider style, more single sided for water power kiting called flysurf or kitesurf you can check robbie naish's site for example, or advance paragliders/kites site www.advance.ch surface is shown in sq meters (approx 1sq m is 10 sq ft)
and these things can really make you fly...
some guys already basejumped bridges with paragliders doing mc conkey stuff... some pics on www.babylon-freefly.com
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Right, no bridge there except the one my mind filled in. :>) But at the very beginning, what are they launching from? (With the 3,2,1 CYA!) The direct bag paraglider from paraglider I can see now -- very cool from both angles.

Thanks for the other links -- I had no idea those "toy kites" as I called them could be taken so far. I don't think I even really knew what paragliding was (I usually picture the hang gliding I've seen, which is quite different.)

As far as I know, the first guy to do a 'McConkey' was a Czech paraglider pilot & designer called Ondrej Dupal (using a paraglider). A basejumper named McConkey saw the pictures, posted them on the base forum and the rest is history.

Can anyone correct me on this?

well actually most paraglider constructors now do their prototypes in a smaller size and do all the development at lower costs...
at the beginning, just from any slope... parapente (paraglider) is a compression of parachute de pente, slope parachute... The first paragliders were raiders and stuff like that to which they had taken off the slider and the extractor, but they needed a hell of a slope... now a glide rate of 8 and a fall rate of 1.2 m/s is normal...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579