Reetah

Canopies Review

I realize this is one hell of a lot to ask... but if someone could post their opinion on the canopies they've jumped, with ratings and goods and bads, it would be SO helpful. Would these ratings be sufficient?

Ease of packing:
Opening:
Landing:
Performance:

Maybe add something... the reason I decided to post is because asking doesn't hurt, and second, because I got really confused. Every producer marks their canopies as the best, the coolest, etc... and if it is fairly understandable that PD/Icarus canopies are generally good, I have no idea whatsoever about Parachutes de France and other less known producers (anyone jumped Springo for example? was it good, was it bad?)...

One other rating I would say is 'Skill Level' i.e. is this an expert canopy like a Xaos or a beginner canopy like a Navigator.

Hmm, the other thing is something about recovery arc, but you could put that in with preformance I guess.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I've jumped 3 so far:

PD230- Really easy to pack (f-111). sweet, slow openings, stand up landings, but took a hard flare to get them.
Triathalon 175- always used packers, Really a rocket compared to the PD. Nice swoop landings with good flare.
Sabre2 190- the best in all respects so far.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

I've jumped over 18 types of canopies... I just don't have the time to write reviews of every one of them. If you narrow the choices down and search the fourms you'll find all the info you need.

Packing is the same for almost all canopies so eliminate that from your list.

One persons low proformance canopy is anothers high proformance canopy.

My advice is to wait till you get through AFF till you start looking at your own gear. Your instructors can best advise on the sizing and type of main that is best suited for your skills.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have no idea whatsoever about the other less known producers

From a resale point of view, make sure you pay attention to what some of the other skydivers are using at the DZs you may frequent. It'll be much easier to sell a canopy that people are familiar with and want.

As far as what canopy is good for packing, opening, landings and performance, there are plenty of people who know a whole lot more than I do, so I'm not going to say much about one canopy or the other. But I'd suggest you explore the URL Ron posted. From there you can read the reviews different people wrote. But don't forget to trust the people you know at your DZs more than any of us here on DZ.COM ...

I've flown student/rental gear (hated most of that stuff), a few rental Spectres (which I liked), a Triathlon (not a bad canopy), two Sabre2s (a very good canopy to learn on) and now I'm on a Crossfire2 which is still new to me (a high performance canopy only recommended for qualified pilots). The Spectres, Sabres and Saffires are all great canopies to learn on and they all have good resale potential. But I just noticed you're from Russia and I don't known how easily you can get your hands on a PD or an Icarus canopy. So look at what the people at your DZ use and then try and find some reviews for those canopies. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over