Nightingale

AFF 2

well, after a plane ride back down last week...

I passed level 2 today!!!!!

I went down to the dropzone, actually not really intending to jump... still had those butterflies doing the macarena in my stomach. So, I just went to watch.

I was sitting on the bleachers outside the school when I ran into John, who'd taken me on both my tandems. He asked if I was doing level 2 today, and I said I was a little uncertain, and just wanted to watch.

I was then reminded that skydiving is not a spectator sport.

He offered me a hand and helped me off the bleachers and we went into the school and I signed up for level 2.

It was a weekday, so the dropzone was pretty dead. Which was good for me. Took a lot of pressure off. The instructors didn't have anyone else waiting, so we were able to take a lot of time, take things slow, and really make certain I was ok with what I was doing.

My instructors were Shelly and Raoul. Raoul took me over to the table and we talked about what had made me wuss out last time. What it basically came down to is:

1. I didn't trust my gear.
2. I didn't know my instructors.
3. I was worried about my exit.

To solve 1, he took me into the harness room and took a rig apart so I could see how everything came together. He even pulled the cutaway handle so I could understand how cutaway worked, and showed me all the connections on the reserve and how the RSL worked (but its a backup, so you can't depend on RSL!!! Pull the silver handle anyway.). He then got one of the reserve pilot chutes and showed me how the spring worked and all that... he did everything short of actually deploying a reserve. Mystery gone, issue 1 solved.

Now that the gear wasn't quite so much of a mystery, we moved on to problem 2. By this point, I'd gotten to know Raoul pretty well. And Shelly was my other Jumpmaster. Issue 2 solved.

Issue 3 was the plane. We were using the Otter this time, so it was the same exit as on AFF 1. Issue 3 solved.

We then did my cutaway drills in the harness room. Raoul then left me with Shelly to run through the dirt dive.

We went over the exit five or six times, then the forward motion, and ran through the dive with an altimeter programmed to tick down even though you're on the ground... press a button and tick, tick, tick, so you can see the dive in real time.

All that went great, and then it was time to get ready. So, I got ready. Shelly and Raoul did my gear checks, and Raoul explained to me in detail exactly what he was checking for. Another gear mystery solved.

So, we get on the plane. Shelly has me point out the three important altitudes (6000 ft, lock on, 5000 feet, PULL!, 2500 feet, decision) on the way up.

And then its my turn. I got a couple of high fives and thumbs up from other jumpers, and we line up. I look at Shelly. She smiles. I ask if I'm ok, she says "yep." and I look at Raoul, and lean out, then in, and out and I'm flying!

I had a good arch, good forward motion. Was a little too altitude conscious... look at instructors more. Lock on to altimeter at 6000 feet, not 6700. 6700 lock on is overkill. Pulled my own ripcord this time. Found it without a problem. Canopy deployed without a hitch. Thought for a second I had a stuck slider, but after a moment, it slid down on its own. The legstraps were a little uncomfortable, but not unreasonably so.

I got to play with the parachute a bit, and then it was time to land.

I had a little trouble with my flare on landing, only got down to 3/4, so I came in a little fast. Landed on my knees, but heck, I fulfilled the "land safely" requirement, so I'm not complaining. I just need to do a complete flare next time. Which is probably going to be on Monday. hehe. I love federal holidays... :)

I bought my logbook today, and Raoul filled it in for me. I'm going to write my comments in it tonight, which are probably going to read "looking at the altimeter is good...but doing nothing but looking at the altimeter is boring. and remember to flare ALL the way on landing."

Sigh...today was a good day!

-N-

Incredible!!!!

Good JOB!

Major congrats to your crew too. It sounds to me like you've got a fabulous group of JM's there. Taking the time and trouble to walk you through everything, work on your confidence, review equipment, etc....

Wonderful group of people you should feel blessed!

Most of all "YOU ROCK"!!!

:-)

It won't take long till your on your own!

Jack

p.s. make my second solo jump tomorrow, can't wait to dive out and blast through the skies!!!

Happy Jumping Nightingale!
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Nightingale-

Excellent, excellent. I love reading stuff like that, I'm proabably going to switch over from S/L to AFF this spring, so I like reading stuff like that so I know what to expect...keep em comin.

Congrats!

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Nightingale-

Excellent, excellent. I love reading stuff like that, I'm proabably going to switch over from S/L to AFF this spring, so I like reading stuff like that so I know what to expect...keep em comin.

Congrats!

-Kramer

I keep a jump diary on my website, www.nightingalesnest.net. feel free to check there too. got pics up and stuff.

-N-

hehe. thanks.

I meant to write, congrats and stuff too. Its late (2am almost) I'm tierd. Glad to see that you got back up there and went through the second aff.

There is so much to learn about gear, but even a basic understanding of most of it can go a long ways in making for more trust that it will actually work. Hey if it means anything, the rig your jumping looks like it was in nicer shape than some of the ones that I jumped on student status. (Theres nothing wrong with them, just older)

So are there pictures of you floating around when your on the ground? :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

[QUOTE]It was a weekday, so the dropzone was pretty dead. Which was good for me. Took a lot of pressure off.[/QUOTE]

I went through my entire AFF like this and really liked it. Save the craziness of a weekend (or boogie for that matter) for when you are finished with your instructor jumps. It went a lot more smoothly for me, and I felt the instructors could dedicate a little more time to me in the process.

Blue Skies, you're doing great on your progression, keep it up!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I've know Raoul for years now. He rocks.

Congrats on the jump. Oh, BTW, it's okay to have that "butterflies doing the macarena" feeling. In time those feelings will change to something you can't describe.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

You are a skydiver. Congrats on finding the courage to prove it.

What he said, Many congrats!!! Its a wonderful thing having great JM's it makes everything feel smoother.

it's okay to have that "butterflies doing the macarena" feeling. In time those feelings will change to something you can't describe.

I 2nd that!! I had the same feeling when I started but now after 16 jumps I find myself drifting off thinking about that feeling and jumping. Its amazing, keep on truckin and keep us posted!

the JMs at Perris Valley are WONDERFUL. If they hadn't taken so much time and effort to make sure I was comfortable with what I was doing today, I probably wouldn't be jumping.

Instructors you have confidence in make a BIG difference.

Hell yes it does. I'll tell you this. After hearing what you have to say. When my A gets here, I'll make it a point to get up to Perris and say hi. I'm looking forward to jumping with you all and meeting those incredible JM'S.

Very Cool, Indeed.

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...