bluegremlin

A good thing or not

Is the fact that there arnt many skydivers a good thing or not?

i mean there are good points of not many people such as skydiving is a small comunity of people and you probebly know and trust everyone one (Or most people) at your DZ.
But then there would be good points if there were alot of skydivers such as gear would be cheaper and there would be more lifts.
Im intrested in seeing what everyone hear thinks (What would it be like if skydiving was just as popular as football?)

I don't really think its a good thing or a bad thing (The number of skydivers).

Skydiving isn't for everyone though... thats for sure. :P
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Good things that come from not very many skydivers:
1) Less government interference in our sport
2) Tighter community
3) Those that are involved are more of an "elite" in the eyes of their peers (very good for some... KRAMER;))
4) Personal relationship actually develops between suppliers and buyers of gear. ( I know Kelly makes hundreds if not thousands of rigs a year, but it was nice to actually talk to HIM on the phone or via email while I was waiting on my infinity.. product plug.. and it was nice to meet him on equal grounds at Elsinore.. DZ plug:P
Bad things that come from not very many skydivers:
1) Less market share resulting in fewer sponsorhips from LARGE companies (Nike, gatorade, etc )
2) Much less lobying capability to fight for our sport when one A hole gets upset because little johnny dies and thinks it's completely unsafe and no one should jump, or that skydivers are a hamper to the local airports ability to expand
3) Longer for the limits to be expanded both because the talent pool is smaller and there isn't RD money (landing a wing suit, 300 way.. 500 way)
4) Less opprotunity for professional skydivers to make a REAL paycheck resulting in less professional instruction. (I'm an AFF-I so no one start screaming here, I know that the majority of our instructors only do it part time and that the level of instruction is very good, but it could be even better if there were actually economic incentive to specialize)

5) Fewer "large" DZ's with turbine aircraft and immaculate facilities

As you can see in my opinion more skydivers means a better sport. I'm sure there are many who disagree, and I KNOW I have forgotten some good things. I do think that all in all more skydivers would be better.

Heck there is a large number of people that ski and snowboard, but I still have to wait in lift lines on weekends. So, having more people would not mean more lift. Also, have you priced a good set of skis or a new snowboard lately? Numbers don't equal better or cheaper.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

think about driving down the highway. Now ask yourself, would you really feel secure being in freefall with the general public? I wouldn't. It may seem like an elitist point of veiw, but I think it takes a special person to handle skydiving in general.Think about it, would you get on a 747 piloted by the average jackass? i say NO! Not everyone can do the things you do or are learning to do. There are immense repercussions that go with our sport, and the public in general is ill equipped to handle them.
I hate to sound like a cock,but people are stupid.
-----------------------------------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

People are stupid, but becoming a skydiver doesn't make you smart. There are plenty of people who already skydive who are accidents waiting to happen. And there are plenty of people who don't skydive who would be very safe jumpers if they gained the interest and learned. So don't generalize... and don't take this as me looking down at you... because I'm one of the absolute worst at generalizing/stereotyping people, so I need most of all to take my own advice. :|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com