kelel01

Hard pull-- cutaway?

Did you get the PC out of the BOC pouch?

Yes: It will probably deploy.

No: dont need to but couldn't hurt.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. I would have thought it would be the other way around. If you cut it away when the PC never came out of the BOC, isn't there a possibility that it would get stuck behind you?

And I thought that the very definition of a hard pull was that you couldn't get the PC out. Clarification?

Thanks!
Kelly

And I thought that the very definition of a hard pull was that you couldn't get the PC out.

That would be an impossible pull.;) A hard pull is just that- a pull where you have to yank harder than usual to get the pc out. [edit]In case the hard pull turns out to be too hard, don't spend too much time on it- try twice, then I'd say go directly to the reserve. If the pc is still in the pouch, it's less likely for your main to deploy than if you got it out and nothing happened.

As others have said, a 'hard pull' suggests the pilot chute has not left the BOC. Bacause the pin doesn't move until the bridle pull on it, a pouched p/c leaves a 99.999999 percent chance you'l have no main deployment.

Go silver and save the possibility of losing your cutaway handle and accept that 0.000001 percent chance your main could deploy.

...or...

Do a normal cutaway. Know that you are now ACTUALLY PERFORMING your practised routine. You might lose a handle but the main will still not deploy. Remember, the pin is in? If (and only if) by some freaky chance you knock the main pin loose while under reserve the bag and risers will fall out as a lump and pose much less danger to you ... but' you'll have to go chase them.

IMHO, making a "new" decision while you're at terminal and passing through your hard deck is not a smart thing to do. I had a hard pull once (my hands were frozen and I missed the grip on the 1st try). After try #2 I IMMEDIATELY went for both handles knowing full well that if I did not get IMMEDIATE action out of the main I was in for a reserve ride. Adding even a second of decision time would have been bad.

[By the way, this is also a great argument for not pulling right at your minimum deployment altitude. Seconds at pull time ae very, very valuable]

Good Question. Chat this over with your instructors and fellow jumpers until the throught process you WILL use is second nature.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Chat this over with your instructors and fellow jumpers until the throught process you WILL use is second nature.

That right there is the most important thing said in this entire thread.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

> Go silver and save the possibility of losing your cutaway handle

Aren't cutaway handles relatively inexpensive and only mildly inconveniencing to get replaced, most of the time? I've heard people concerned about cutting away and losing their main, because it cost them $1,000, and the consensus seems to be "a thousand dollars is worth less than your life." I would expect a similar comparison between handles and life.

True, in this case (hard/impossible pull on main pc) pulling the cutaway handle represents a significant chance of losing it whereas not pulling the cutaway handle represents a much smaller chance of unexpected post-reserve main deployment, but I don't care to do that sort of "probability x cost" analysis when one side's stakes go so high, and even if I did, I'd still think $100 for reserve handle (and 2 to 4 weeks without my own rig) on 50% of my reserve rides would be wholely acceptable - I don't intend to have so many reserve rides every year that it would break me.

Personally, I consider certain parts of the rig I'm wearing to be "consumable". Cutaway handle is one of those - it needs to function properly once. If it is fit and present for re-use, that's nice but not part of its core design/operation parameters.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

If (and only if) by some freaky chance you knock the main pin loose while under reserve the bag and risers will fall out as a lump and pose much less danger to you ...

Probably not. If the risers are laying flat against your shoulders as the bag falls away, they probably won't release right away...at least not until your deploying main generates some drag...then they'll probably release. And they might end up getting involved with your reserve as they leave...as has happened in at least 2 cases that I'm aware of.

IMO, you're better to leave the main connected and make a decision as to when you want it to go away, rather than leaving it to chance.

Know that you are now ACTUALLY PERFORMING your practised routine.

True, this is a practiced routine, but it might not be your only practiced routine. Many DZs teach their students how to differentiate between Total Mals and Partial Mals, rather than giving them a "one size fits (almost) all" procedure. If this is the case, than you would be performing a "practiced routine" by going directly to your reserve. You've got to be able to think and move in this sport, practice on the ground helps you think and move that much faster, but you still have to be able to think...or end up broken.

That's why us nasty instructors make you do all those repetitions ;) so you do it right when you need to. Talk to your instructor(s) if you have questions, they'll set you straight.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Well I talked to another member and got some clarification.

Situation:
Hard pull becomes an impossible pull or your too low.
If you deploy your reserve there is a chance that the main might come out after/during reserve deployment. If you cutaway first then there is a chance the cutaway main could snag the reserve. Or if you dont cutaway the main could deploy and give you a two out, or just sit in the container.

But as someone else stated, talk to your instructors.