Unutsch

artificial lens due to cataracta and skydiving

hi there!

my girlfriend was jumping a few years back, but had to stop due to her cataracta, which had to be surgically removed (she also has type 2 diabetes)... she then got implanted artificial lenses in both her eyes, and the doctor's said she couldn't jump anymore because of the fear that the pressure changes during climb and freefall could damage her eyes... but since this is 3 years back, she would like to go jump again... but the fear is remaining...

she'll go to the doctor next week to get his opinion, but since i know that our doctor's here in slovenia have very little or no experience with skydivers and artificial lenses, i would like to see what you guys have to say... but please, i would like to hear from people who have such experience, not the usuall stuff like: in my opinion that's way to risky... (i keep telling her this all the time, although i would more than wan't and like to jump with her and kiss her in freefall )

thanks!

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

I am not a Dr. but having have spent a lot of hours talking to my father’s eye surgeon about lens replacement surgery and recovery. Based on my understanding of the procedure I don't understand your Dr's concern. I would seek out a second and third opinion.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I would check with a doctor abotu that as it just doesn't sound right. I have two cornea transplants and still jump. My only concern was the time I lost my goggles while I still had sutures in my eye. Nothign more terrifyign than tracking with your eyes clsoed hopign the mental count you just started is accurate.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

About a year ago I was diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes, had them removed and replaced with clear lenses. 2 months later I was told I could resume normal activity and have been jumping regularly ever since. It is important to listen to your doctor but if there is doubt, get a second opinion. They will always error on the side of caution.
Dano

I am an eye doctor, Chad's wife.

The natural lens of the eye sits behind the iris (colored part) and is the size and shape of an M&M. In order for light to hit the back of the eye, this lens needs to be clear. A cataract is a cloudy lens and this reduces the amount of light getting to the retina, so starts to blur vision a bit. That's when surgery is done.

The natural lens of the eye holds back the vitreous, a jelly that gives the eye its shape. That jelly is hooked up to the retina (inner lining of the eye). When cataract surgery is done, the natural lens of the eye moves a bit, the jelly shifts a bit, and the retina gets tugged on a bit. This can cause a retinal detachment.

The most critical time when this can occur is within the first 6 months of surgery. That is why we tell patients no heavy lifting, no changes in atmospheric pressure (skydiving, scuba, etc) for several months after surgery. Retinal detachment can cause permanant vision loss, so to fool around with jumping right after eye surgery is just plain stupid (to those other posters that did it, you are lucky and that is all).

Since it has been more than a few months since your girlfriends last surgery, the eye has had plenty of time to heal. She should have a dilated eye exam to make sure there are no small retinal tears, thinning, holes or small detachments that jumping could make worse and cause problems, and that the implanted lens of the eye is stable and not moving around and not displaced. Once the doctor clears her to jump, she's good to go.

Jen Galbraith, OD, MS

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

thanks again!!!

you have no idea how much i appretiate your detailed answer... we allready discussed what she'll do, and she has agreed to go to the doctor for a detailed eye exam in the begining of december, just to let the eye heal some more... she has artificial lenses on both her eyes, last one was made this march, but since she also has type 2 diabetes, it healed very slowly... so some extra time won't do any harm!!!!

uuuu, i'm so nervous about the outcome of the exam!!!!!!

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org