Layton

new a cards

a guy that i work with took the first jump course with me.that was july 20 2001.i now have 128 jumps and a c liscense.my buddy just got his a test done and he sent the card back from uspa and they told him it was incomplete.they didnt send back the money order just the card.i still dont know what they wanted.our s&ta told us that only the left side of the card has to be filled out.anyone know what was left out?***if you're on the edge ya might as well step off

The entire card must be filled out, including the license exam part that confirms the skydiver passed the "check dive" and an oral exam (NOTE: USPA recently allowed the substitution of a written exam for the oral).

The "A" license card is the license once it has been completely filled out, signed by an instructor, and stamped in the box on the last page. It only needs to be sent to USPA if you want to register the license (a good idea).

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

there are now 2 cards floating around out there? If the "old" one is completely filled out, does that mean no A?

No, either card, you still get your A. The "small" card is 100% fucking worthless. Its for DZs that don't use the ISP and basically have their own student program, they can pencil-whip the card at the end of the program and the student gets their A. It doesn't have all the benefits of the new ISP integrated onto the card and if the student is using it, the student is pretty lost as to all the details they need to accomplish (like riser turns, braked approaches, swooping to formations in freefall, etc).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

AggieDave wrote (about the USPA A License Profiency Cards):

"No, either card, you still get your A. The "small" card is 100% fucking worthless. Its for DZs that don't use the ISP and basically have their own student program, they can pencil-whip the card at the end of the program and the student gets their A. It doesn't have all the benefits of the new ISP integrated onto the card and if the student is using it, the student is pretty lost as to all the details they need to accomplish (like riser turns, braked approaches, swooping to formations in freefall, etc)."

Dave,

I am extremely disappointed in your response. I will assume you wrote this in a hurry.

Most drop zones do not use the USPA ISP. The quality of training depends mostly on the drop zone and its attitude toward student instruction, not on USPA documentation. (Actually, a student's logbook is the most important document of all.)

I think that since this thread is fairly new, that you will soon see a number of responses from others that feel the same way.

You're right, I did write my response in a hurry.

You are also right in that the student program is dependant on the DZ's attitude towards student training. Where I'm coming from is what I've seen from students coming from other DZs that have been moved along in their jumps, but haven't accomplished nearly as many goals and skills as students that I've seen trained under the ISP.

IMHO (:P) the USPA's ISP is a really good program, it trains students with a good "tool set" of skills...also, whats very nice is the ability for a student to go from one DZ that uses the ISP to another DZ that uses the ISP and pick up right where they left off and still be on the same page.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You're right, I did write my response in a hurry.

You are also right in that the student program is dependant on the DZ's attitude towards student training. Where I'm coming from is what I've seen from students coming from other DZs that have been moved along in their jumps, but haven't accomplished nearly as many goals and skills as students that I've seen trained under the ISP.

Many students don't know what is expected of them, or what is required to get a license. Often they don't see the ISP, or any part of the SIM. Frequently, drop zones use their own program and then fill in the card later.

The advantage of the formal ISP program and four page card is that it clearly lays out each and every requirement. If an instructor is rushed, or misses something, the student has the knowledge of the program to prompt more complete instruction.

A school using the 2 page card may be doing a good job, or may not...there is no way for the student to know. It is much easier for a student to follow along and demand a complete program if the 4 page card is used, and if a comprehensive outline (such as the ISP) is available.

Likewise, it is easier for an instructor or DZO at another DZ to determine the depth of a jumpers training with the detailed 4 page card.

The 2 page card is adequate (given a solid program), but the 4 page card is much better.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
S&TA
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy