PlayDough

A little advice.

First... I noticed there are no listings for Drop Zones in China. Is there a reason for this?

My company just sold out to our competitors... the majority of our US employees have been let go. My employer continues to string my office around letting us know " you don't have anything to worry about yet. " Meanwhile I have been approached by a manager who says... " If you were offered your same salary... and traveling expenses. Would you consider relocating to Hong Kong?"

I began my AFF in August 2003. I now have achieved my B liscense and I am less then 35 skydives to my C. I genuinely want to continue my progression... and I'm very concerned with these changes this will be hard to achieve.

Does anyone know of an operational DZ in China? If not... how does one fill in such a period of time w/o the outlet of a DZ in your back yard?

It was a real shot below the belt when I found this out. All will be well... Just don't want to go years w/o practice. [:/]

Any Advice would be appreciated.

Personally, I would be evaluating how much I wanted to stay with a company that only gave me that option. Are your skills marketable? Can you find work in the CONUS? Do you want to stay with this company to the point you'd move to China for an indefinite amount of time? These are just a few questions I'd ask myself. Personally, I probably wouldn't go. Just my 2c! Good luck with your decision.

As for a DZ, I don't know. As for the job... I would have to agree with the other 2 posts here and tell em to shove it... unless of course I just happened to love china. If they've already cut most of their US employees it is possible that sometime in the future you might be cut also and I would think that being cut from a job you just moved to Honk Kong for would tend to piss one off. ;) Hell even if there was no chance that they would ever fire me I don't think I would move to Honk Kong for any job. That means leaving behind not only the people and places you love, but also an entire way of life... I'm sure the culture there is quite different.

-syn
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain
a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty
nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Let me start this off by saying that obviously the Drop Zone thing plays a huge role, i wouldn't go if i couldn't skydive.

Aside from that as far as i'm concerned, you should look at it as a new experience, especially if you're young and single (relocating a family is a traumatic experience.) A good friend of mine spent four months there late last year and had an absolute blast. He reckons the city itself is unbelievable, the people are friendly, there are some amazing sights and sounds and it's seriously first world (coming from South Africa our eyes light up like pinball machines when we see reliable public transport systems, etc :$)

For more info check out this address:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/loc-asi.htm

Maybe someone else can make it clicky?

AS for the salary thing, get in touch with someone over there and find out what living expenses are like and then get your company to adjust you upwards from there. It could be cool to spend a year in a foreign place and if you hate you could always come home having lost nothing...

Life's about experiences :)
safe skies
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky