DangerMouse02

Scary Situation - Landing

Today I made my first jump in a month. I was keen to try my new line set before heading off to Eloy next Friday(!). Previous to that, I would consider my self a very current jumper with several good canopy seminars and coaching sessions under my belt.

I opened my Sabre2 135 (which I have ~150 jumps on) high, around 5000ft.

I played around with turns, flares, and stalls for a while, and decided that the brake lines were a bit short. The canopy was buffeting when I was on the front risers and the brakes had no real play in them.

I was upwind this whole time, but by the time I really looked down next I was lower than I wanted to be. I honestly didn't look at my alti, but I was probably around 1000, just above where I would otherwise want to be setting up a carving turn to approach.

I flew downwind, and started a 180 carving turn, but suddenly remembered I wasn't happy with the performance on the front risers. Then I noticed I was fairly low to be considering a real turn at all. I did a good flat turn on toggles and managed to get around to about 45 degrees off the windline, before flaring.

Basically, this situation made me think about the (over)confidence I might have had in my abilities. I usually set up my landings exactly how I want them and execute. I just didn't like the feeling of feelings things having gone wrong so late. I should have turned earlier and landed a bit upwind.

Anyways, I had a fine landing with no real lift (from low airspeed). But I think my next jump (in AZ!) will be quite a bit more conservative.

Not sure what I'm looking for from you guys, but it was nice to get it off my chest.