slug

Cost of Broken Pelvis/Neck fusion

Since we don't know, or want to know the number of non fatal injuries from a botched high performance landing.

Would anyone care to share the cost of their medical expenses (covered by insurance and out of pocket) from the significant injuries experienced from a bothched "high performance" , panic turn, or whatever else you want to call it (you can exclude the broken tib & fib they've been around forever).

Time in recovery before returning to work and any permanent disabilities would also be usefull.

I am not a lawyer, but some people do learn from the accident reports (the body bags) but fail to realize the incidental expenses incurred by the folks that survive and are screwed back together in the hospital.

The number of these type of injuries would be helpful as a reminder to the young folks of what can happen when someone screws up but we know that isn't going to happen.

Flame on.

R.I.P.

Finger caught in stitching of front dive loop.
Major impact.
Broke 3 bones in pelvis, L5, and Sacrum

Total costs of operation and followups:
$45,000-$50,000 (someday i'll go through all those bills)

Total time out of the sport:
89 days (didn't want to loose that tandem currency)

Making my wife serve all my beck and needs for 3 months...
Priceless

Unfortunately I have to walk around with these 2, 8" bolts going through my sacrum for the rest of my life. The benni though is that I can predict the weather :o

Hi Jeremyneas

>>Finger caught in stitching of front dive loop.
Major impact.
Broke 3 bones in pelvis, L5, and Sacrum

Total costs of operation and followups:
$45,000-$50,000 (someday i'll go through all those bills)>>

Thanks for the response. I guess all the other people who got hurt are dead so your a lucky dude.

Sorry to hear about the owee, I'm surprised that the medical bill was so reasonable, Dr's, nurses, O.R. Hospital, P.T. all that stuff.:(

In another thread Ron mentioned a figure of $107,000 for someone he knew that got hurt trying to land a perfectly good canopy.

Three month's no workee can be pricey depending on your employer.:|

IMO You owe the wife big time. :)
Did you get video of the surgery or the landing?:)
R.I.P.

My first sex change operation cost more than your than your tune up. Than I had a second one because I changed my mind, and they charged me even more to put it all back. I thought I was going to get a refund.Then....I wanted bigger, no smaller :S

Would anyone care to share the cost of their medical expenses (covered by insurance and out of pocket) from the significant injuries experienced from a bothched "high performance" , panic turn, or whatever else you want to call it (you can exclude the broken tib & fib they've been around forever).

Crushed L1 vertabrea from dumb low turn, spent 16 days in hospital, 3 hour surgury to put in 2 rods and 4 screws and to take a chunk out of my hip to rebuild the spine.

Overall I spent $54 for TV hire while in hospital (who would of though anyone can get sick of Jerry Springer? :P), $39 for pain killers once I got back home. After that I spent a bit over $100 for hire on stuff like special chairs, device to help me get into bed (which I never bothered with) but got over $80 back after I returned it. Thats about all I paid I think.

I have private insurance but did'nt tell them that cause the way it works here (Aus) I still would of got the same hospital, surgeon etc (might of got a better room) but would of had to fork out $1000 excess.

I only spent a month off work (only casual work) and didnt spend a cent on the surgury itself and did most of the physio myself.

Sorry I know you wanted to scare people about all the extra costs invlolved in injuries but I got lucky I guess...just glad I busted myself up here and not in the US! Though gotta say although I did'nt spend much at all the pain I went through made up for it :S

I broke my sacrum in a U-shape seperateing my spinal cord from my pelivis. shatered my left tib and cracked my left foot. Got a head injury, bit my tounge half off, and got at cut on my forehead. Was life lined from one hospital to the next. Total bill as of january 1st. $200,000 and thats not a lie. I'm paying 600.00 of that plus extra vists to doctors and medication. Also loss of insureance due to injury. But I still jump today plus loss of what was to be my wife.

Blue skies