newsstand

AFF Straight Through

If this should be in General Skydiving Discussions please move it but I think this is the right place.

AFF instructors what percentage of your students go through the progression without repeating a step? Most AFF people we hear from here are having problems but I think that is skewed because those that aren't are also not looking for advice.

Also do you think that those who go straight through make better skydivers in the long run or does a certain amount of over confidence happen?

Thanks

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

My instructors told me that at Perris, about 1/10 go through with no repeats.

I was one of them. From my perspective, it did NOT make me more confident. It made me more nervous. I felt, after 8 skydives, that I wasn't mentally ready to go it solo. I did three coach jumps first. After I graduated AFF, I was actually wishing I'd failed a level or two so I could get more jumps in with the JMs right there. I'd wanted to do some more coach jumps, but didn't want people looking at me like "haven't you done a solo YET??"

I can't wait til I get my A, because its lonely up there in the sky just doing solo after solo. I want to jump with people again.

I can't wait til I get my A, because its lonely up there in the sky just doing solo after solo. I want to jump with people again.

At my home DZ I was usually able to get a jump in here and there with a coach for fun to help break the boredom. Ask around you will probably find one who will jump with you. If worst comes to worst offer to pay the jump ticket.

How weird is this talking about being bored jumping out of a plane.:P

edit to fix a typo.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I did ground school one day, levels 1 - 3 the next day, and 4 - 7 the day after. I didn't have to repeat any levels, but one of the other students at the time had to re-do a level (he lost altitude awareness and didn't respond to instructions, so the instructor had to pull for him). I think the fact I went through it in such a short time helped, as I had no problems after a 4 month lay-off shortly after.

i hear ya.. solos are pretty lonely. cant wait to finish up my solo requirements so i can jump with others again. Its definitely more fun jumping with other people, at least for me. *shrugs* i'm fine jumping by myself though, just not as enjoyable. anyway, i went through AFF in about a month, plus a solo jump. I only had to repeat level 4, didnt get any forward motion on that jump. BUT, i never used a radio, since i'm deaf and i've stood up every landing since the repeat of level 4, and i've had one bulls eye landing and one 2 meters from the target. Plus, i'm down to a 200 sq. foot canopy now. but i'm not cocky or anything about it, it doesnt really matter to me about being able to jump without a radio or having a smaller then normal canopy. its just whatever works for the individual. :)

AFF instructors what percentage of your students go through the progression without repeating a step?

I have had about 1/15 I'd say that have the nautural ability to fly.

Also do you think that those who go straight through make better skydivers in the long run or does a certain amount of over confidence happen?

I've found that students that have the nautural ability to fly, and get through all the TLO's without repeating any have almost the same progression as the ones that have to repeat some levels. Once they "get it", you can see it in thier eyes that a light just "came on" and they really dont have any problems from then on.
Though some people "platue" on their ability to further progress in the sport, it should only take some coach jumps to open thier eyes to different learning techniques, and they will progress further.
:)
Thanks

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Finally a real answer. No disparagement to the fellow new folks because your experineces were great to hear but instructors was what I was looking for.

I went straight through but am wondering what influence paying for it in advance had. In some ways my experience is a mixed bag. I did my first jumps back in '78 and '79 (yes anyone who is paying attention is getting tired of reading this) and then restarted in March of 2003. Riding up in the T-BO for a tandem was a bore although my son was about to jump out of his skin. That jump was a good re-start but AFF 2 and 3 were agony because of the amount of things to remember. After that it became fun again and after initial doubts I went for the license and now just drift between times I can get to the DZ. The next jump will be two months since the last and that is scary too. On the other hand I have a plan this time and will be doing H&Ps so I can work on flat turns at altitude and my landings.

Not sure what this whole ramble really means other than I do love this sport. It is the first thing I have been able to get a passion for in a long time.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

After that it became fun again and after initial doubts I went for the license and now just drift between times I can get to the DZ The next jump will be two months since the last and that is scary too..

Just try your best to stay current on your emergency procedures.
Even though you breezed though all your levels you may still want to do a coach jump?:)Be safe.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I will definately go over thins with a coach when I get there. We have several who know me pretty well by now and I'll see what their opinion is too.

Thanks,

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes