Badflaw

UK Medical Insurance for USA AFF Holiday

When I was in the USA doing AFF, I used the World Nomads insurance that you can find on the Lonely Planet website.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-insurance/

I like their plans and they say explicitly that skydiving is covered, along with a lot of other "dangerous" activities. Make sure you check the list of activities, because they have different levels of coverage and each activity is rated to a particular level. The level also seems to be dependent on which country you live in (not which one you're visiting) for some reason.

My gf had to use them to make a claim once, and they were very fast and hassle-free with the payment. My own claim to my company took several months and angry emails to get paid out.

I do know that in the UK you have lots of options for insurance that a non-UK resident doesn't have (researched insurance a while back), so maybe somebody else can suggest something better.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

There are several threads on www.ukskydiver.co.uk regarding this subject. It's a confusing and often changing . this spreadhseet tries to summarise but not sure how up to date it is.

I had previously purchased cover from ihi Bupa but never had to use it. I've previously had Sky-Cover's Personal Accident policy but now they have a policy that includes medical cover, I'd probably consider that in the future.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

strife

Jeff it seems to say only 1 jump only? for skydiving.

I checked the list for UK residents and it had "parachuting" and a separate listing for "parachuting (1 jump only)". They were rated at different levels, but both are covered if you buy the correct level of coverage.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Was on my iphone so its hard to type a long answer....

Back at my Mac now :-)

Just come back from my 3rd trip jumping in Florida (Deland) and I also did my AFF there so here is my 2c worth:

You dont need insurance but GET medical insurance as a broken leg is £50k + ...I use insure and go worldwide policy and then add the number of days skydiving to the policy @ £7.00 as day for the USA. This gives me about 20 million medical and 2 million repatriation cover.

NOTE - Travel insurance and medical insurance are two different things and are completely different

THe USA is a superb place to jump - great Dz's weather and very friendly locals and visitors :-)

PM me if you want to know more.

Blue Skies