skylord

AFF-5

Up to Elsinore again for more A-F squared. Hooked up with Doug, who was the tandem master for my first skydive. He has over one bajillion jumps, and has spent more time in the air than on earth.

AFF-5 is the same exit as AFF-4 but now we will, well not we since Doug is already pretty good at it, I will demonstrate 90 degree turns in opposite directions.

Into the plane, up to altitude, and its skydive time! Over to the door, spot, looks good, and take position. I figured out the leg thing.

Check, ready, set, arch.....

Good clean exit, as the Otter I've taken off in several times now and in which I've never landed, recedes into the distance. It doesn't seem like we are even off the hill when Doug appears. He gives me the nod to start my turn toward him. I stick it, although the East German judge gave me a low score.

Cool. Doug gives me the legs out sign, nods, and I go back off to the left. Stuck it again. Check right, Doug gives me the legs out sign, nods, and again. I've got to work on that. Six turns done, check altitude, I don't have to lock on anymore at 6,000, I just note it, hold my heading, check, and at 5,000 I wave off.

As I go to pull my head drops, I de arch a bit, making it harder to get the PC, and I start a pretty good turn to the left. I got the handle, threw it out, but had a sneaking suspicion my canopy would not look like it had on all my previous jumps.

I should start one of those "900" number fortune telling services for skydivers. Call me up, give me your credit card number, tell me you were turning during deployment, and I will predict line twists.

Sure enough, I got slapped by the risers I think, and looked up to see about three twists. The chute was fine, and I got to see how stupid I look in the air trying to do the Nutcracker ballet. The training worked and I had it all sorted out in a jiffy.

I flew the canopy, did rear riser turns, a stall, and released the brakes. I was so concerned about flying a "proper" pattern, that I ran out of altitude to make the X. I should have flown straight toward my touchdown point, and flopped the pattern around. I would have made it then.

The landing was unassisted, but for the first time I flared high just a bit, and dropped in from about three feet. Ouch, but not bad.

Doug debriefed me, cleared me to Level 6, and asked if I was going to do another jump that day. Sure, why not! See the next installment. ;)

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

Hey Bob, sounds like AFF 5 went fine. . .lucky you, getting to jump with Doug. . .I had Doug and YoYo for my AFF Level 1, of course, I have had a different instructor every time I have gone to the Dropzone. . .I think there is a secret conspiracy there to pass me off on all the instructors so I don't torture anyone for too long. . .hehehe. . .just kidding Shark. . .(I'll see youa, Shark, on Saturday. . .bbwwwaaahhhahhahha).

Can't wait to read Level 6. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

GREAT JOB!!!!

As I go to pull my head drops, I de arch a bit, making it harder to get the PC, and I start a pretty good turn to the left. I got the handle, threw it out, .............. tell me you were turning during deployment, and I will predict line twists.

.............. looked up to see about three twists. The chute was fine

I could have written that about my AFF 5 jump....exactly :( only difference in my jump and yours... I haven't passed it...yet ;)

Again, CONGRATS!! Good Luck on 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

Going up tomorrow to do level 8 this Sat, cant wait.

I will be there tomorrow as well. . .doing level 7 and 8. . .and probably my first solo if there is time. We can celebrate graduation together. . .woo hoo!
FGF #6
Darcy

Cool! I guess between you and Javier I will be drinking this weekend.
Bob, will unfortunately be in Hawaii or some other desolate location for work

Yeah, you will get a couple of us out from under your hair. . .course, I am sticking around and jumping on Sunday too, just to bug you. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Bob, will unfortunately be in Hawaii or some other desolate location for work.:D

Yes, I leave tomorrow morning for Kauai on business until next Friday. I wish I could find someone to take my place.....;)

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

Hey Bob, sounds like AFF 5 went fine. . .lucky you, getting to jump with Doug. . .I had Doug and YoYo for my AFF Level 1

Darcy,

Doug is excellent. He has around 13,000 jumps but treated me like I was his first student. Have a great time this weekend!

Bob
Bob Marks

I flew the canopy, did rear riser turns, a stall, and released the brakes. I was so concerned about flying a "proper" pattern, that I ran out of altitude to make the X. I should have flown straight toward my touchdown point, and flopped the pattern around. I would have made it then.

Don't feel bad, I was so busy trying to hit the X (which I completely missed) I blew the pattern and screwed the guys under canopy behind me. :$ And I have 22 jumps!! Doh!

CONGRATS and good luck on your next jumps. B|