2wheeljunkie

Hoping for second tandem jump Sunday. Temperature question.

I made my first tandem on 4-4-2004. My instructor noted that I had "great awareness during freefall". I wonder about that. I think I was looking for ground rush which of course does not happen. I just remember brain meltdown. I have been remembering flashes all week, particularly the freefall turns. By far, the greatest experience I have ever had. After a couple of beers, I have found myself going into fits of laughter thinking about it all. I'm not usually like that - pretty serious and contemplative. The temperature at the drop zone is expected to be around 45F on Sunday. It was probably close to 60 for my first jump. Will I be distracted by the cold to the extent that I will not get as much from the Heading and Altitude awareness training? I know that this is an individual thing, but I'm looking for a little insight. I'm on-call the following week and on a fishing trip the week after that. I don't think I can wait that long for another jump.

By no means have I conquered fear, but I have knocked the crap out of it.

That explains a lot. I remember my hands being cold, but when I think about it, it WAS after the canopy opening. Jump or no, I'll be at the DZ early. I've been blabbing about skydiving all week to all of my friends who have never jumped. I keep telling them to tell me to shut up. I'm sure they will soon. On the way home, I was calling people and telling them that motorcycling is officially boring and that I was selling my bike to buy a rig. I won't do this because I still love to ride, but no corner entry or exit wheelie compares to what I felt exiting that Caravan. I AM selling my guitar and amp. Don't play them anyway. The memory of those freefall turns is never out of mind for long. I can't even imagine what the loops feel like. I'll shut up now. At least you guys understand.

By no means have I conquered fear, but I have knocked the crap out of it.

Dress for the weather. Wear jeans and a sweatshirt, for example, something to that nature. Something to keep you warm but not be too bulky.

Out of the roughly 300 tandems I've taken, only one has ever said they noticed the cold once they were in freefall. A LOT notice it when the door opens, but not in freefall.

As for it effecting you, well, if you dress for it and are expecting it, then I don't see how it will really effect you, but that is a decision that you'll have to come to.

Eitherway, welcome to our wonderful sport and good luck!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Congrats. I have been on 3 tandem jumps. What a thrill. I guess I am not a true jumper yet. The last time i jumped..... my ears got very cold and I got a headache. I am looking forward to summer. I will be out there for sure.:$
Time will tell if I will continue tandem jumping or get really serious about it.:)I will follow your progression on dz.com
Have fun...

blabbing about skydiving all week to all of my friends who have never jumped.

wow, wayyy too many words in that description right there. with your welcoming into the sport, i'd like to introduce you to a new term for these "others"... we call them whuffos. learn it, live it, love it.:P

blue skies!

I've been blabbing about skydiving all week to all of my friends who have never jumped. I keep telling them to tell me to shut up. I'm sure they will soon.

LMAO....yep, you're here, there's no cure, don't even try!! However regular treatments of 13,000 ft altitude treat the symptoms. Welcome.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.