baa75

Coming back from an injury

I saw a post warning people to be careful as it’s the beginning of the season and many of us are not so current and have gained a few pounds. What about all of that and having had an injury last season too?!

I had knee surgery (ACL) last July that kept me grounded all Summer. I just “had” to get up before winter so I made a few jumps beginning of Nov and partially tore the new ACL. I have jumped since then but only a few times. Cold weather here in PA/NJ makes for a good excuse. Now that its getting nice I really want to start jumping again but I’m not sure what to do!

My landings before the surgery were fine but since the surgery they have all been PLFs except the 2nd one when I tore the ACL again. Needless to say, I’m scared of hurting my knee further. I know I’m favoring that knee but how do I stop doing it? My fear of getting hurt is actually getting me hurt! My last jump this past weekend was a rather nasty landing and the last thing I remember before hitting the ground was thinking “watch the knee!” I wear a knee brace but I was wearing it when I tore the ACL the 2nd time so I know that won’t totally prevent more injury.

I don’t need to be lectured about what I “should” have done up to this point, that’s in the past, I could really use some ideas on getting back in the air safely. Oh, I’m fine in the plane & freefall…its just from about 500 ft that I start getting nervous and worrying about the landing. I was always pretty relaxed and confident in myself before and now I’m just not.

Anyone have a similar experience or have any advice? It’s been cold and raining all week and its going to be a beautiful 72 this weekend but I’m NOT jumping until I get this straight! [:/]

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

Hello.

I've had an ACL surgery on my left knee a few years back. After rehab (dunno if that's the correct word) I've returned to the sport. I regularly do a lot of gym exercises, and wear a knee-brace while jumping.

Since then I've also managed to injure my right knee (damaged the ACL, but no rupture) and discs and vertebraes [:/]. So, I am pretty wrecked for my age...

My way of managing the fear of another injury is to have an as-much-as-full-as-possible understanding of the equipement I use, and, of course, _not_to_do_ any radical manouvres bellow... 200 m AGL or something. Because I _do_know_know_ that I can land that Stilleto everytime and walk away from it. It's just a matter of controlling myself. Yes, one could argue that I do not controll myself all that well given the number of my injuries, but that's a discussion I do not want to have right now ;).

You just have to rationalize it. You _will_do_ this-and-this, and _will_not_do_ that-and-that. And never ever be ashamed of an PLF.

Hope I helped at least a little bit. Have fun & be safe.

Regards,
Huha (>o<-<

I am planning to resume jumping next week after knee surgery. Fortunately it was only cartilage damage. I have delayed it a bit because a flu caused me to break my rehab schedule. I want four more exercise bike sessions and two more weight training sessions before I go. I have been doing high rep/low weight squats and quad extensions; I start lunges today. Three sets of thirty reps can be excruciatingly painful to the muscle tissue without over stressing the cartilage or ligiments if you use very light weight. What kind of shape are you in? Have you been religiously following a flexibility and strengthening plan?
How highly loaded is your canopy and how fast is it? Is upsizing for a while an option? You said your brace did not do the job. Is it possible that you did not spend enough money on a brace. If you spent less than ~$400.00 on it then it may not be enough for post ACL surgery. We have one guy at the DZ who uses one he paid ~$1000.00 for (I think his surgery included more than one ligament).
I hate to say this but if you have reinjured yourself you need to step back and take a hard look at what you are doing. An ACL injury has the ability to both end your skydiving career and provide you with a lifetime of pain. As we injure ourselves throughout our lives we are faced with the choice of serious and often unpleasant rehab, or converting to a less active lifestyle (and dying of heart disease).

I'm a pretty conservative canopy pilot and I do always wear my brace to jump. I could use to get to know my gear better but I think my problem is more a confidence thing. I was fine until just a few jumps ago.

I've had plenty of injuries outside of skydiving too so you're not the only one. Thanks for the input!

BettyAnn

What kind of shape are you in? A bit plumper than usual. :$
Have you been religiously following a flexibility and strengthening plan? Finished rehab in the fall and haven’t kept up on my own. Single Mom of twins, I’m lucky to find time to jump, no gym time for me.
How highly loaded is your canopy and how fast is it? With the added weight from this winter I’m at 1.1:1, normally right at 1:1.
Is upsizing for a while an option? I started back using a 190, then 170 now my 150. I was doing ok until just the last few jumps. Unfortunately no larger canopy to go back up to now. (BF sold his Spectre 170 and I’m not going anywhere near his Vengeance 170)
Brace is the $1600 DonJoy. Good one but I think it was holding the outer layer of clothes which doesn’t help much when wearing 3 layers.

A torn ACL is a common Skiing, Basketball & Soccer injury. If I played any of those sports no one would even try to say that I should stop because of the injury. I was in rehab with someone who had multiple surgeries on each knee and she had no intention to stop skiing.

I have always been pretty active and the ACL had been torn little by little over the years. I’ve managed to keep jumping through pregnancy, having kids, etc so I don’t see myself stopping any time soon. (I’m 28) Not jumping for good is not an option. I am looking for things I can do to regain confidence and start standing up landings again.

BettyAnn

Finished rehab in the fall and haven’t kept up on my own.

I hurt my back twelve years ago. I expect to be finished rehab in another fourty or fifty years.

Single Mom of twins, I’m lucky to find time to jump, no gym time for me.

Your call but if you want to remain active I would find the time for the gym. Maybe find one with daycare.

A torn ACL is a common Skiing, Basketball & Soccer injury. If I played any of those sports no one would even try to say that I should stop because of the injury. I was in rehab with someone who had multiple surgeries on each knee and she had no intention to stop skiing.

I don't think you should stop skydiving either. I just think you need to get more aggressive about what it will take to remain active and what you are willing to do to make sure you can. There is a cute saying that people don't quit skydiving because they get old; they get old because they quit skydiving. This is so much bullshit. The truth is that some people in all walks of life refuse to slow down just because they are getting older and they are willing to take care of themselves. The members of that group who skydive, keep skydiving. Those who let their bodies degrade find that the little injuries (or big ones) force them to quit.
Having a body that heals at a twenty-eight year old's pace is just a Ponce de Leonian dream to me. The one thing I do know is that your healing process is never going to be any easier than it is right now. If you don't go to the gym now it will not be easier in a few years when the kids are older; it will be harder. As middle age progresses and my memory begins to fail the one thing I have no trouble remembering is my old injuries. They become more apparent every day.

On the gym thing: since the injuries and surgery, I see it as an integral part of my weekly schedule. Three times is IMHO a minimum, four or five are IMHO optimum. I do not like the gym as such, but it has to be done... Good luck :)

Regards,
Huha (>o<-<

Very very true. I'm in probably the worst shape I've ever been in right now. Not exactly proud of that. :$ I'm sure that has something to do with my confidence. [:/]

I just signed up for Scott Miller's Canopy Control course. Its not for another few weeks but I think it will help, can't hurt at least.

I feel silly asking for it but maybe having someone on radio for a jump or two telling me when to flare until I get the feel for it again?

BettyAnn

Betty Ann,

I have considered going back on the radio myself. But, it was Scott Miller's course that got my flare timing down right. He can analyze it all by video. So, he will help with that. But, in the mean time radio is always an option.

Good luck and hopefully I will see you tomorrow at CK.

kristen
swooo #3 MB #3587 P.M.S. #66
"so let go, jump in...what're you waiting for? it's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"

Don't know what kind of canopy your jumping but maybe an idea to upsize it untill you have your confidence back

Good advise.

I returned to jumping after being down for two months with an ankle injury. I was afraid of putting my legs down for a long time after that.

I started on a canopy two sizes up. My own gear is a sabre 2 190 loaded at 1.1. Unless you are confident of the landings, seriously consider lowering that wing loading. Also jump only in moderate winds until you are confident of your landings. Low to no winds can be as bad as high winds.

Take a deep breath on final.

Kris.

I got a chance to talk this over with Dave (Vertifly) today. Without having video to see for sure it sounds like (among other things) I'm flaring a little too fast.

Now that I think about it, I think that's what I did the day I tore my ACL too. (2nd jump demoing a canopy I didn't really feel comfortable with.) Now just to stop the nervousness that's causing the quick flare.

Thanks for the tip on taking the course. Just my luck that its only offered Mother's Day weekend (Men! :S) but I'm taking it anyway!

BettyAnn