WeakMindedFool

Two out question

Ok, so I have a pull out. I know some folks don't like them but I do. I can deal with the possible malfunction much better then I could a horseshoe or a PC in tow. I've had a problem with a floating pud 4 times and have seen a rigger and am having the problem fixed. A floating pud is not the problem for me that it is for most, I'm double jointed in my elbows and shoulders so it's no problem to reach all the way behind me and get my pud. Playing the odds though means that if it happens enough I'll have to go to my reserve and most likely end up with two out. Is there any way, body position or input of some sort that will help a two out deploy in a manageable configuration? I'm fixing the problem but if things go wrong it's good to have a plan.
Peace!
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Why do you think a floating pud will produce a two out scenario? If you dump your reserve due to a floating pud, your container will probably not open. The drag on the pud will not be sufficient under a reserve, or immediately after its deployment to activate the main. So your chances of a two out are unlikely.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

If you've had four floating puds in 100+ jumps, you have a serious gear issue. The only thing I can see doing that is a 1980's design pud. I hope your rigger fixes that.

It's unlikely (but possible) to have a two out with a pud in tow. The only real influence on how a two out deploys would be the order (and the difference in canopy size) and how close together they deployed. If you're getting a two out you pretty much already don't have any influence left.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

In my opinion based on my experience, firing your reserve with a floating pud should not cause your main to open.

Unlike a pilot chute in tow malfunction with a throw out, you have no drag from the pilot chute on your pin.

However, you really need to start taking a more firm grip on that pud and feel yourself extract that pin before you huck it!

Or. If it is coming out before your reach for it. Get your gear fixed!

If you don't have a plan for every two-out senario, sit down with an instructor and go over the possible senarios one by one. You need to educate yourself to the possible senarios and the flight charactoristics of your canopies. Then make your own decisions on what you would do in each senario.

If you are out at Davis tomorrow, I'll be there. Perhaps we can chat in person.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Are you getting the floating pud from sitflying?

My first rig had a pullout and sitflying was the only way I ever had it happen to me (once) I had another inch of velcro added to the pud and container and the problem never occured again.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

It's durring head down that it happens. And yes all, the problem is being fixed...I just wanted to know if anyone had a plan for deployment in a possible two out situation...I have looked at two out situations and do have a plan for dealing with them.
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

First, I have been jumping with a pud for 18 years and have had maybe only one come out on me that could not be arbitributed to some other factor (i.e. packing, bumped in the plane, someone pulling it out in the plane, etc.). If you have had 4 come out on you, you are doing the right thing by getting it fixed.

Read the SIM, talk to people and develop your own plan that seems reasonable to you. You may get six different responses here for this situation. Me, personally having had a two out progressing to a main/reserve entanglement, here's my two cents. If at all possible, get rid of the main as quickly as possible. You will hear a lot of people debte this, but of the seven two-out situations I have seen, five resulted in downplanes with some type of injury to the jumper. So, my advice again is, get rid of the main if at all possible!

Okay, so you can't get rid of the main for some reason...then very small imputs to the canopy in front, if they are in a "stack". If side-by-side, little or no inputs. Just get pointed to an open area, don't worry about wind direction, no flaring and a good PLF!
blue skies,

art

In my opinion based on my experience, firing your reserve with a floating pud should not cause your main to open.

True...I have 2 high speed reserve deployments after failing to extract the pin on my pull-out and loosing the handle. The main stayed packed all the way to the ground...both times.
Gloves were involved...both times!

However, you really need to start taking a more firm grip on that pud and feel yourself extract that pin before you huck it!

...I believe a lazy grip caused both my high speed mals.
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.