xdoctor

Rapid fire newbie questions

Why is it that the only folks that have ripcords on their main anymore are the old timers?

What exactly is a capewell?

Why do the younger jumpers seem to love the RSL and the old timers seem to hate them?

Why doesn't anyone jump a round reserve anymore?

I appreciate the input, these are questions that have been plagueing me for months now.
The flying hamster of doom rains coconuts upon your pitiful city.

A capwell is a 2 shot release mechanism, one on each side, that held the risers to the harness. You needed to lift covers on each and then "tug" on a release wire, which activated a cam that disconnedted you parachute. You had to release both sides (and pretty much at the same time) to get rid of the main. - the 3-ring chops away both risers at the same time - A BIG thanks to Bill for that one.

The reason peole dont jump round reserves is all down to Air Speed. Rounds dont go very fast and so they can not penertrate into wind like a RAM -Air canopy, so on windy days, your ground speed can be high (and backards) under a round. Also, they're not very steerable.

F.Y.I : Paraglider pilots fly with round reserves, becuase they do not (tend) to be able to cut away a malfunctionling ram-air glider and 2 ram-air canopies flying from the same harness is really bad news.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Why is it that the only folks that have ripcords on their main anymore are the old timers?

Many students, particularly students jumping static line or IAD progression still jump rip cords on their mains. Where are you seeing "old timers" jumping ripcords???

Why do the younger jumpers seem to love the RSL and the old timers seem to hate them

I would imagine the logic behind younger jumpers loving RSLs is that it is one less thing you have to think about in an emergency, and in theory, it will deploy your reserve with little hesitation upon a successful cutaway. A number of old timers (who is this anyway??) do not like RSLs for a couple of reasons. Some oldtimers have concerns about the RSL snagging or not releasing cleanly for some reason. Others worry that under some circumstance, you may not want your reserve out immediately (canopy transfer or a spinning mal comes to mind here).

Personally, I have a concern with any jumper (new or otherwise) relying too much on safety equipment (RSL, AAD, Dyyter, etc..,) to do their job in an emergency. That kind of dependency builds complacency.

But that's another thread entirely.;)

The spring loaded pilot chute has been obsolete for a good while now. Very few still jump them.

It's an obsolete device used to jetitison a malfunctioned main.

Why do the younger jumpers seem to love the RSL and the old timers seem to hate them?

There is no shortage of younger jumper who reject an RSL. Those who do, are, normally, very adamant about their position.

Round reserves reserves are still in use at some DZ's on the student gear. Round reserves are generally obsolete for non student jumpers (and for most students as well), yet are used due to the cost of replacement.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

The spring loaded pilot chute has been obsolete for a good while now. Very few still jump them

Everyone jumps them...Check your reserve.

It's an obsolete device used to jetitison a malfunctioned main.

Its not obsolete...I jumped them in the military, and they still use them today.

Round reserves reserves are still in use at some DZ's on the student gear. Round reserves are generally obsolete for non student jumpers (and for most students as well), yet are used due to the cost of replacement

There are some arguments FOR a round.
They are almost idiot proof.
In a two out the are much safer.

But your statment that most places use them due to cost issues is bang on.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Progression of the sport. Not many people jump F-111 7 cells anymore either.

However it is a good deployment method...Its the one your reserve uses.

You have several great answers to this already.

They are not as controlable as a square. They land harder.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

A capwell is a 2 shot release mechanism, one on each side, that held the risers to the harness. You needed to lift covers on each and then "tug" on a release wire, which activated a cam that disconnedted you parachute. You had to release both sides (and pretty much at the same time) to get rid of the main.

The particular capwell release you have described is not a 2 shot, but a 1-1/2 shot. A 2 shot doesn't have a release wire but has a thingy you squeeze between you're thumb and forefinger. Unlike the 1-1/2 shot these cannot be activated under load.
Capwell is the name of a Corporation.

Land a round reserve a few times and you'll understand. They SUCK.

Who you calling old-timer, kid? :P Actually, I'm 27 and I never use an RSL for any kind of jump. I like to keep my options open. Some people like them and that is fine also. There are pros and cons. It is best to learn the facts and make your own decision.

Hi, thanks for the input.

Yeah, I could have described it better..... By 2 shot, I meant that each side needs to be activated individually, to completely release the main - as opposed to the 3-ring, which are activated simultaneously.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome