charleslittle

Indoor Skydiving!

Hey, I'm a newbie...just did my level 1 AFF last week, and headed out for more jumps this weekend. I'm interested to know if anyone has any info toward a wind tunnel facility in the Chicagoland area. I could really use some work on my arch and relaxing...I think a simulator could be just the training aid that I'm looking for. Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated.

:D
"Life is a party...dance your way through it!"

Not sure about whats in the area. I thought I heard that there was one in ohio or something like that, but don't quote me, I looked around on the net and couldn't find refrence to it.

I can tell you that tunnel wise, my bet is you would have the best learning experience by taking a trip to Sky Venture in florida, its an awesome tunnel.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

This might help.

http://www.skydivingmagazine.com/windtunl.htm

A lot of experienced jumpers have been to one or more tunnels. Ask around at your DZ. I've been myself once or twice :)
Have fun, and remember - it's not skydiving, but there is still risk. I watched one person dislocate a shoulder in there.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

The closest tunnel to you is at skydive Greensburg in Indiana. about 5 1/2 hours drive from Chicago to the DZ. Checkout their website in the dropzone section of this site under Indiana. It's an outdoor tunnel but flys GREAT! I fly it about 2 or three days a week. The closest indoor tunnel is Flyaway in Pigeon Forge Tenn. If you go there ask for John Suiter as an instructor. Probably one of the best tunnel freefliers around. Tell him the guys from Greensburg said to. Come on down to Skydive Greensburg and do some Tunnel time it truely does help. If you want more info go to www.bodyflight.net it is a site dedicated to tunnel flying.
Blueskies!
D

Wow, thanks Skyhuffo! That's great information. I really want to work on my form, and I had the chance to practice atop a jet engine once back in like '95 while in Puerto Rico! I'll check into all of the leads you gave me! Blue Skies to you too my friend!

Yup...that's my dz! I love those folks at CSC. But that trip costs almost $1K! As much as I'd love to hang with the CSC staff, I've gotta find a more affordable solution. But thanks for the info! If I happen across some extra moula I'd love to train and party with the CSC staffers!

Hello, perhaps you will be at this years WFFC 04?
If so we will be hosting Bodyflight University Training Camps and you can get your tunnel time there. John Suiter & his staff will be taking students into the tunnel for rw/ff and basic training. The tunnel we are bringing, is fast, big and has Lexan walls for those of you who arent' intersted in a tuck & roll.
Bring your jumpsuit and send us an email, we'll schedule you some time and hey, your at least close to home!!!