RoysPlayThing

May be a silly question.....

chopchop and some other friends have been doing this coaching course at our place, And someone said something about "little girls" actually may fall faster because of their flexibility... My question is can it be calculated about how much faster... I mean I am about 120 pounds but slender and flexible... What weight range would be a good weight for me to be equated with another flyer?? Is there such a calculation?? :S

I don't know of any "calculation," but from my experience most female skydivers are extremely flexible. When I was a GK, one of my female teammates (about 5'6" and 130lbs) was one of the fastest fallers on the team - wearing double-zipper polycotton "off-the-shelf" jumpsuits.
Arrive Safely

John

chopchop and some other friends have been doing this coaching course at our place, And someone said something about "little girls" actually may fall faster because of their flexibility... My question is can it be calculated about how much faster... I mean I am about 120 pounds but slender and flexible... What weight range would be a good weight for me to be equated with another flyer?? Is there such a calculation?? :S

There is, but it's fairly worthless to try to use it. It's all to do with drag coeficcients, and parasitic drag, and laminar flow, and clever stuff like that. If you try to work it out, bees will shoot out of your ears, and you'll still wind up low.

Women are different from men in more than the obvious ways, and one of these is in the distribution of bulk in the torso, and the amount of flexibilty in the hips. A woman of a given size and weight usually has the capacity to fall faster than a similar size and weighted guy because of the ablity to arch more. A guy may have the ability to fall in place at high speeds more easily because of the higher proportion of weight in the upper torso. As with all things YMMV, but as a rule of thumb when doing coaching or AFF, I tend to wear a faster jumpsuit for smaller females.

hmm, i think the theory is true to an extent. i'm wee, 107 lbs on a good day. i can bend in half on my belly, reducing drag as much as poss putting my hands behind my rig, sometimes still not able to catch up to the anvils though. to fly comfortably i almost always have to strap on weights.

freeflying is different. my jumpsuit is average drag and for the most part i fly comfortably with the rest of them. i can go slow very easily, if i have to go super fast well i wear a t-shirt instead of long sleeves. i'm not as dense as the big boys, but present little surface area creating a good range and maneuverability. thats my theory anyway.

Some do fall fast depending on their flexibilty.
I always stay very flexable and always wear my freefly suit, with the ability to fall fast or slow, just incase they deside to flatten out during the jump and float, or spin, which results in centificial force to pull their body flat, causing them to float.
Assuming what the student is going to do before you get in the air with them, (ie; wearing a tight suit), may only lead to them doing a solo above you during the jump.
It's much easier to fly arching hard then it is to fly trying to save you ass from going low.

Dress for success!;)

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Perhaps another thing that helps women fall a little faster (IMO), everything else being equal - is the fact that women's hips are naturally tilted more forward than men's.

So they're already starting with more of an arch than guys do when relaxed in a belly-to-earth position.

I knew a dancer who wore a weight vest to flatten her out a bit, and slow her down. Not sure how well it worked, but she stuck with it.

From everything I've dealt with in the Tunnel, 12 year old girls are the scariest thing to teach to fly. They arch like there's no tomorrow, if they're consistent then we turn the wind up to nearly freefly speeds, but when they flatten out they dissapear and are never heard from again. On the other hand, guys just weren't built to arch. The bigger they are, the more they cup air with their hips and arch their chest.
Don't Confuse Me With My Own Words

Yeah, I guess my best student to date was a guy. He was traveling with Circ-de-sol-e (stupid american spelling) and was one of their flying trapeze type guys. 10 minutes and he was doing things in the tunnel that take most skydivers a couple hours. I tried to convince him to get better, and then put one of the out door tunnels on stage, that would be pretty incredible.
Don't Confuse Me With My Own Words