cvfd1399

FLAREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! OUCH

well, now I have a video I can use to finally explain "that" sound. I've heard it too many times, and it unnerves me each time I hear it.

If anyone goes to Nationals at Perris - listen for the "bam!" its either the CReW dogs or Accuracy folk landing.:S

Accuracy canopies are usually huge and lightly loaded. They can often end up deep in brakes to sink a canopy in only to stick one leg out to stab the tuffett with their foot.(Competitions can be won/lost by .1 inch) It looks painful, but its a soft platform around it (I've seen people miss it even at Nationals and that was painful).

Looks like the tuffett wasn't that soft in the video and what happens when you don't PLF and have only one leg out and forcefully place all your weight on one leg? Snap!

I will say, I saw the GKs practing accuracy at Rantoul last year without the soft pillow, but they were sinking it in and stabbing the tuffett with both feet and standing the landing. The only one that didn't stand it did push ups right there in the landing area.

PhreeZone said it well. Get use to that sound if you plan to stick around the sport for awhile. I heard it twice. Both times my own leg:S First was out a high window running away from a girls father when I was 14. That one was much like the video. The second was on a bad landing under bad circumstances.
You just move on. Bones heal, internal organs don't. Think before you do something stupid;)

On the Journey of Life! Want a Ride?

this is a HORRIBLE video.
This is why IMO accuracy should be changed, there should be an entry gate AND landings should be stould up... Some horizontal speed, not just falling down.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

This is why IMO accuracy should be changed, there should be an entry gate AND landings should be stould up... Some horizontal speed, not just falling down.

Why would you want to change one of the oldest aspects of the sport? You will find plenty of people that still enjoy the rules the way they are.

There is also "sport accuracy" which is done just like you said.

Why would you want to change one of the oldest aspects of the sport? You will find plenty of people that still enjoy the rules the way they are.

There is also "sport accuracy" which is done just like you said.

I know this is one of teh oldest aspects to the sport... But there is a need for evolution. In what jumping sport (besides long jump, triple jump and pole vault) does your jump is worth anything if you land like elephant poo ?? If you add a part of aesthetics (like having a stand up landing almost every time) maybe it will look more interesting.
Did you ever see accuracy landing ?? It is one of the scariest things I saw (as a normal activity). In sport accuracy, the level is really high too, and bad landings can be much more dangerous than "traditionnal accuracy", and is not open to everyone.
Just my opinion...

Yup - have seen it quite a few times. I would tend to bet we have less injuries and broken bones from traditional accuracy than we do from swooping/sport accuracy. It looks painful, but from what I have been told, it isn't. If you don't like it, don't do it!

OK so I won't do it :P although being accurate on landings is a basic survival skill. I prefer to walk away from my landings in a 5-10 meters area rather than land on a coin and have my mates carry my bones...B|:P:P

It looked like a typical accuracy approach on a typical Knights demo. It also looked like they were landing on a padded tuffet, which doesn't absorb energy like pea gravel, but can actually rebound back and cause injuries. Couldn't tell if it was a broken leg or a blown out knee, but damn it looked painful. Hope that young guy got morphine right away. "Shooting" accuracy is not dangerous, but learning it can be. A good PLF could have prevented this, but sometimes the desire to stand up the landing, especially on a demo, can get you hurt. I've seen a lot of injuries right around the pea pit from people not knowing when to bail on a bad accuracy approach. I recommend everyone know how to do an accuracy approach and land exactly where you want. It's an ability that's saved my bacon more than once, but get good instruction. :(

I heard that sound when I was a kid and fell off my bike. My arm was hanging like that guy's leg is, the wrong way. Two surgeries, three pins, and a hella lot of rehab later, all I have to show for it is scars. Broke my elbow in ten places ten days before my tenth birthday. And people ask me why my lucky number is thirteen.:S
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams