stealthsky

Where did the term "Boogie" come from?

You got it right, there's a thread in the "history" section.

If you haven't scrolled down to that part of the forum list yet (I admit it's hard for me to get past the bonfire and speakers' corner too) definitely check out the history forum... well worth the read.

Elvisio "back in MY day means earlier this morning" Rodriguez

Uhhh...I read the explaination about the "Keep On Truckin'" character being called the "Boogie Man"...

And I read the reference to the "Keep on Truckin'" character being called "Mr. Natural"...

and all that's wrong, I'm sorry to say.

Yes, the character was the creation of cartoonist R. Crumb, but Mr. Natural was that little fat bald guy in a robe and sandals that was known for tossing feces at people,and saying things like, "Mr. Natural sez GO F**K YOURSELF!"

The "Keep On Truckin'" character we see striding along with one big foot stuck out in front was actually called THE DOO-DAH MAN. He achieved additional acclaim in the Grateful Dead's song, "TRUCKIN'".

"Truckin...got my chips cashed in,
Truckin, like the Doo-Dah man..."

So I've gotta wonder about this claim that BOOGIE came from the explaination I've read in the forum defining the origins of same.

I recall it being derived from a phrase back in the 70's that people used a lot: "let's get down and boogie." It implied "getting it on with great gusto" so to speak; and that got applied to skydiving scrambles because they were events where people met for a couple days of high-activity interaction.

I know we all probably have something we think we invented; but it's not unusual to be surprised to learn that most social trends have ambiguous origins, and the exact moment of original conception might be impossible to find later on down the road.

Like me, for example. I was damn sure I invented sex; only to find out all I really did was popularize it amongst a LOT of women on various California dropzones, and it had actually been going on for a long time before that. ;-)

The World is a big place, and it's hard to say who invented what / when sometimes. More likely, people become aware of when a certain trend became popular amongst their circle of associates, and in the absence of other information, believe that's where it actually started. And if opinions like that continue long enough, they oftentimes become accepted as fact by subsequent generations.

So, are the origins of the use of the term "BOOGIE" relative to skydiving what we really think they are? Maybe. Or maybe not. After all, it was a long time ago............

Pat Regan
Yumper,
Yump Pilot,
Original "Boogie Till You Puke" Honoree,
Barehanded Wolf Chokers and Pterodactyl Breeders Association Member,
Survivor of the Green Star Express,
once met somebody who knew somebody famous,
yattada, yattada, yattada, ad infinitum.

;-)

Peace out, brothers and sisters! Love to live, live to love. EFS forever!