Jeth

How many tandems before AFF/AFP?

I am just curious how many tandems everybody did before doing your first AFF jump. (I know some people do S/L first, but I am asking about ones who did tandem-to-AFF).
I have done 1 tandem and am going back for my 2nd. I am thinking about doing 1 or 2 more after that before AFP. (My DZ only requires 2 before AFP) I am thinking I want to get more comfortable being in the air before I have to do all the driving myself. Any thoughts on this??

Thanks,
Jeth B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Do whatever you are comfortable with.

My experience was I did one tandem because I never thought I'd like it. My DZ doesn't require any tandems first. Decided to go into AFF. They do have a plan where if you do 2 tandems, you start AFF at level B, so I called about that, and the advice I was given was to go on straight to AFF, because the deployment systems are different, it's better to get right on to the BOC (all our student gear is BOC) rather than build muscle memory pulling a rip-cord on the tandem. Made sense to me, so I just did the one tandem. Worked for me.

Again, do whatever you are comfortable with!

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

If you are serious about becoming a licensed skydiver then go straight to AFF. Why waste the money on a tandem? Unless you still arent sure about it. Most DZ's dont require you to do any tandems if you dont want to. At least that was the case 3-4 years ago, I never did one.

I did 2...one in 94 and the second one in 2001...

They wanted me to do a third one since it had been 7 years between 1 and 2..however that day it rained, and I was scheduled for the AFP transition class the next day, I took the transition class and the plan was for me to do the tandem after that. However the instructor felt i was heads up enough and didnt have to do another tandem, my 2 counted.

However YMMV...if you are not comfortable and want to do another tandem, go for it. You do what makes you feel the most comfortable. They will be glad to take you up, however if you feel that you are ready, and so does the tandem master, they go for it...AFP1

This is your decision to make, you can get advice from any direction, but you have to follow what you feel inside. :)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Most DZ's dont require you to do any tandems if you dont want to

SDC does require 2 tandems, however we also dont do AFF, it is AFP. The first level is done using one jumpmaster not two. Unless they feel the student needs two, then they will bring in a second one.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Did two before my AFF. And although I knew I was going to take it all the way up, It kinda worked out for me.

If you don't feel comfortable then its your choice to keep doing tandems. Nothing wrong with that, mik it for all you can, there is no better way to learn canopy control and general canopy flying than with an instructor by you.

I did 4, but the first came three years before the second. Then I went tandem progression. I knew there was no way I would go on a solo jump until I had done at least a few tandems, and even then, on my first true AFF jump I still felt like I was gonna have a heart attack. So I say, do as many or as few as you need to in order to feel comfortable. :)
Kelly

I did three tandems before AFP at SDC back when they still required three. I'm glad I did. I think it made me much more confortable on my AFP 1 than I would have been otherwise. I think that it is a great thing to have a little freefall and canopy time with a tandem instuctor there before having to fly a canopy on your own. Just do whatever you feel the most comfortable with.

If you are serious about becoming a licensed skydiver then go straight to AFF. Why waste the money on a tandem?

I don't think you have a good grasp on how much more advanced the Tandem ISP is and the success it has with students.

From what I have personally witnessed between the two programs, the tandem progression students learn more faster and are better skydivers throughout the rest of their AFF progression.

Basically, when done right, Tandem progression is by far THE way to go.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I agree. I'm not speaking from any experience other than my own as a student last summer, but I felt the two tandems before starting AFF really helped.

The first was just a ride to get the initial holy sh*t factor out of the way (atleast partially anyways).

On the second I was given tasks similar to what I would be asked to perform during AFF Level 1. This helped me to start thinking a little while in freefall despite the overwhelming sensation.

When it was time for my first AFF jump I was still freaking out a bit, but felt much more prepared than I think I would have if I hadn't done the tandems. It does cost extra and I know everyone is different, but I felt this method worked well for me.
Arizona Drive 4-Way VFS - www.DriveVFS.com

The first was just a ride to get the initial holy sh*t factor out of the way (atleast partially anyways).

On the second I was given tasks similar to what I would be asked to perform during AFF Level 1. This helped me to start thinking a little while in freefall despite the overwhelming sensation.

Ya, this is what I am hoping for. I think I may still have trouble concentrating on my 2nd, though, so I think I will do more tandems until I feel more comfortable.
Thanks for all the replies! I was just wondering if I'd look like a doofus for doing more than what's required. :S But it sounds like everyone is different, so that's cool. My DZ does give a discount for your 2nd, 3rd and 4th tandems, too, so thats great for me.

Thanks!
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

i did 5 tandems total (including my skills evaluation one). i was hooked after the very 1st one, which was sept. 21st 2002, and i did 3 more by nov.24th 2002. i knew i loved the feeling but part of what i loved about the whole experience was that someone else was doing the important stuff (ya know-- like pulling) and all i had to do was enjoy the ride:)

i knew i loved the feeling but part of what i loved about the whole experience was that someone else was doing the important stuff (ya know-- like pulling) and all i had to do was enjoy the ride:)

I know what you mean. The whole thing about me taking my life in MY OWN hands is not the most comforting thought. (Wierd -- you'd think I would trust myself more than anyone else, but that's definitely not the case!) But on the other hand, I know that the thrill of solo flight will be so totally awesome.
I will get there. I am hoping that a few more tandems will really fuel the desire to do it alone. (Cause I'll want to be in control more)

Glad I'm not the only one! Thanks! B|

p.s. Wait a sec -- tandems are expensive, but the class ain't exactly cheap, either! ;) For me, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tandems are cheaper than the level 2 thru 5 jumps!
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site