bobtheowl2

About to start AFF

After my first tandem, we've decided were going to start taking the AFF series (in two weeks). But, I guess I have a few questions.

Timewise, how close do I need the jumps to be together? This is more of a funding issue then a availability. I know everyones gonna say as close as possible; but is ~2 weeks too long to go inbetween?
Should I even look at starting to buy my own gear accessories [altimeter,helmet,gloves,jumpsuit..] so I can "get used to them" or something?
Another question thats been bothering me, is that one of the only complains, if you can even call it that, on my tandem was all the air rushing up my nose (reminiscent of accidently inhaling water through your nose in a pool). Am I just a wuss?, bad technique?, is this an aquired thing? will a full face helmet help?<-would that be bad for student jumps?

Any thoughts you have will very much be welcomed. Thanks!

Of course the closer you can put your jumps together, the faster you will learn. Try not to let a month go by without a jump. Stretching it out further will mean having to relearn things and may even subject you to retrain fees.:(

Grab a copy of a good text on the sport and read up about things in preparation for your jumps!

HAVE FUN!!!
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

I did my AFF1 in december then the rest of AFF over about 2 months in march and april, which is pretty stretched out but now i fly fine :)
Not sure about the nose thing though, you could wear those plug things but then you'd ruin your image haha :P

Every extra piece of equipment you purchase cuts in to the money you have to jump. During AFF all of those items should be provided, at least at my DZ they were.

If you think you can save up the money in a few months I would do that and pay for the normal progression all at once. It will probably get you a discount and allow you to jump every weekend if your schedule allows. You may have to pay for a couple of re-dos if you have a problem at a level but it will keep you moving along nicely.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Yeah your right, all the equiptment IS provided, so it would make sense for me to spend the money on the additional jumps instead. I guess getting use to your own stuff comes with time.
And as for saving up that's starting to sound like a good idea now, so I don't endup running low on money half-way through... I'm just impatient, and wishing I could have started this weekend :)

I can promise you that knowing you can come back next weekend and jump again will do a lot to keep you happy with what you are doing. Having to wait a month between jumping days as I do now drives me crazy. Doing that while in training would have really sucked. Also getting a couple of AFF jumps in one day does a lot to improve you skills.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

When did you do your first tandem? Are you in a warmer weather state where you'll be able to get in all your jumps before weather prevents you from finishing?

I was in an AFF program and couldn't finish it due to weather and mula.

But now I'm training again and do some static jumps. Actually, I like it better...I can afford more jumps more often!

Top advice above about waiting to buy any kit until you have complete the training. This will not only allow you to save money to complete the training but also you can get some really good advice from the instructors and experts while you are hanging out at the DZ about what to buy.

There is a lot of different equipment out there which suits different types of people as well as different skill levels and it is best to get some good advice before you buy as a lot of this gear is pretty expensive...:(

That said, have fun with AFF - difficult not to!! :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

When did you do your first tandem? Are you in a warmer weather state where you'll be able to get in all your jumps before weather prevents you from finishing?

Just over a week ago - seems like longer. Luckily I'm in memphis where its perpetually hot, so I don't think that will be in issue for awhile. Although, I've heard of people jumping in winter - but don't you freeze on the way down though? From the little I remember from geography.. doesn't the temperature drop 2ish degrees for each thousand ascending.

I was very happy to do one AFF jump a week or fortnight. I spent a lot of time working out and training myself what to do and sometimes in the pool, so I would do it subconsciously, nomatter how scared I was.

Other people that I have seen don't like the homework approach and they seem to do better getting as many jumps as close together as they can.

But if you try and do two in a day it might be too much to remember.

As you said different people have different learning methods but doing more than one in a day lets you use what you learned and work through and correct what went wrong. Besides, assuming tandem to AFF progression where you start at AFF2, once you are done with two and three the number of things you have to do in one jump drops and it starts being fun. But man I hated those first two AFF jumps.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes