Squeak

Waivers in the States

OK so most of you know I'll be in Florida in January.
Well I was hoping to do some jumps and visit a few different DZs.
I was told this weekend that I'll have to join the USPA and read & sign 2 hours of paper work at each DZ before I can jump.

Is this true?

If the APF is an affiliate of the FAI as is the USPA, why do I have to join the USPA?

Moreover, is there an online copy of the waivers that I could pre-read so i can just sign the damed thing when I get there and not waste half a day reading shite?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Average time to sign a waiver is no more then about 10 minutes at most places. Some places is longer, Perris with the whole video thing is really long...but still less then 30 minutes total. Who ever tyold you 2 hours is pulling your leg.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hi Squeak,

None of the main Florida DZs make you do the video thing, but waivers at all DZs in the US are full-on booklets and generally you have to initial every paragraph. In Titusville you have to copy out a para in your own handwriting stating that you understand the risks.

As for what they say.. well, you are basically absolving them of any responsibility including but not limited to gross negligence, usually acknowledging that the DZ is uninsured etc etc etc. Sometimes you are even agreeing that if you sue they can counter-sue you or you will pay up a specified amount first.

So, if you simply acknowledge that you will have NO rights if injured, you don't really need to read what you're signing. ;) Just make sure you clearly set out the full contact details of your next of kin, that you have travel insurance that covers skydiving, that you jump at a USPA DZ and if you are involved in a comp that you word up Manifest to say you were simply doing a fun jump if you get injured and you'll be right. :P

nothing to see here

You will probably have to get a temporary USPA membership. It's only like $15, and lasts for 45 days. It's required because (I think) your APF doesn't cover insurance stuff here in the US. Email the DZs to make sure, but even if you do have to join, it's only $15 for 45 days. They'll give you a temp card, etc etc to use wherever you go.

__

If the APF is an affiliate of the FAI as is the USPA, why do I have to join the USPA?

It's for insurance.

There's a rule change in progress that would make it the same for overseas jumpers in Australia.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Average time to sign a waiver is no more then about 10 minutes at most places. Some places is longer, Perris with the whole video thing is really long...but still less then 30 minutes total. Who ever tyold you 2 hours is pulling your leg.

If you watch the video properly and then read the entire court case as you should it takes longer than half an hour + being recorded reading and signing the wavier.

Every drop zone is different, but for an example of a typical waiver, see http://www.skydivetheranch.com/waivers/waivers.pdf. This is a collection of documents that must be signed by a tandem student at Skydive The Ranch in New York. This link includes drop zone waivers and a tandem specific waiver from the Relative Workshop that is not required of experienced skydivers.

We also use passive video waivers for our students, and that includes the Relative Workshop video waiver. These videos must be watched by our tandem students, but not be experienced jumpers. For a quick look at our video waivers, see http://skydivetheranch.com/waiver_video.htm.

Some drop zones have heavy waiver requirements, some are much shorter. I've never spent more than about 10 minutes in the waiver process at any of the Florida drop zones, so you shouldn't have anything too serious to worry about. If you are concerned about the specific legal rights you will be signing away, the dz will probably be happy to send you a copy of their waivers in advance.

USPA membership is required because it includes liability insurance in case you damage property on the ground.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Squeak. . .unless you sign really slowly, you can get through the process in 10 to 15 minutes at most DZ's. My Aussie friends did not have to join USPA so I think it depends on where you are from. Make sure you have current signed jumps in your logbook for reference and carry your APF license with you. No problems. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

I'm from the UK and have jumped at Deland and Eloy plenty of times in the past and not been required to join USPA. Has something changed since the beginning of the year?

If it is an insurance issue, the normal policy I take out has about $3.5M liability cover at current exchange rates which goes a bit further than the $15K that AIUI USPA membership confers.

Out of interest does Perris have a stricter USPA membership requirement? I'm hoping to be there for New Year.

I'm from the UK and have jumped at Deland and Eloy plenty of times in the past and not been required to join USPA. Has something changed since the beginning of the year?

No - it means somebody screwed up. Read up on what your BPA insurance covers you against. It specifically excludes the US. If you'd taken out a plane or something your family would have had some serious financial troubles...

You will defiantly be required to join the USPA at Perris.

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to BPA insurance but to extreme sports travel insurance - Axa most recently.

I've met a couple of UK skydivers in the US that didn't have insurance. Both were travelling alone and with low jump numbers. The first one I spent a while holding his foot up trying to figure out which way it was meant to fit on the end of his leg. He got medical treatment but only after threatening to walk out of the hospital despite the obvious impossibility. The second one I showed where the phone was, gave him the contact details and waited around until he got himself covered.

So asking again, does anybody know if Perris insists on USPA membership for overseas jumpers even if they have their own insurance cover? If so, why the difference to other dropzones?

my bad - presumed you ment the BPA shit we are required to pay for.

I too have far more comprehensive personal cover which COSTS LESS!! than the shitty third party only cover the BPA (ok so really its the CAA) makes us buy! [grumble grumble grumble].