d0s

Recovering altitude

I had a question while reading my SIM. I was reading Category G section talking about recovering altitude from below level of formation. The first thing it says is turn sideways to keep formation in view. Im assuming its talking about turning 90 degrees correct? if so, how will this help you keep the the formation in view? Sorry im not jumping till this weekend so i wont be able to ask my jumpmaster till then and kinda wanted to find out sooner. Thanks

While you're recovering, you may lose sight of the formation, but as you get back above it, you'll see it under your armpit if you turn your head sideways. That's when you can turn back to it and fly in. Also, sometimes people move forward when they de-arch. If you face the formation, you may take it out from underneath. If you turn sideways, you will just fly off in a safe direction.

When you are doing a recovery, think to lock your knees, point your toes, and PUSH on the air. you'll be amazed at what a good recovery can do for you. Good luck!;)

I had a question while reading my SIM. I was reading Category G section talking about recovering altitude from below level of formation. The first thing it says is turn sideways to keep formation in view. Im assuming its talking about turning 90 degrees correct? if so, how will this help you keep the the formation in view? Sorry im not jumping till this weekend so i wont be able to ask my jumpmaster till then and kinda wanted to find out sooner. Thanks

My favorite story about altitude recovery was from one of the earlier large-way record attempts. It seems that one of the participants got hosed on the exit and was hopelessly low. His solution was to go off to one side, deploy his main, cutaway, join the formation and land under his reserve.

Even though he got in his slot, he got axed. Go figure.

Blue skies,

Winsor