aulbjerg

Skydiving & The Olympics

Beta blockers allow archers to be more "still". You wouldn't normally consider beta blockers performance enhancers, but in the case of archery, yes, they are. They've been banned since as long as I can remember and I shot a round or two in college myself.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Oh, what a minute, I forget about the drug testing, never mind . . .

I believe they're looking for performance -enhancing- drugs. Ya know, ones that make you stronger and faster. Not ones that calm you down...:D ;)

tell that to the snowboarder who lost his medal.... yea anyone that expected that crowd to be clean needed to step away from the pipe themselves... :P

I heard that one reason any skydiving related sport wouldnt be allowed into the olympics is because it is considered a powered sport, and powered sports are not allowed in the olympics.

But yeah, there are the spectator problems too. Though I think it would be great to see live RW coverage :)

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

I heard that one reason any skydiving related sport wouldnt be allowed into the olympics is because it is considered a powered sport, and powered sports are not allowed in the olympics.

Yep, that's another point.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I personally hope skydiving never gets into the Olympics. And I especially hope nobody asks for it to get in. I feel like asking for the Olympics to include a sport is like begging for someone else's acknowledgement that the sport is valuable.

To me, skydiving is valuable on its own. I don't think someone else has to think it's cool for it to be great fun.

If you read: http://www.fai.org:81/news_archives/fai/000127.asp

It shows that the FAI has been asking for Skydiving to be allowed into the olympics. Asking for the IOC to include a sport is kinda standard practice. There is an application process and such.

Your right though, skydiving is fun just because... but thats a whole other point.

Also, the IOC said that skydiving is NOT a "powered" sport because:

mechanical propulsion is used purely as technical support for the competition in areas unrelated to the sporting performance itself

~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I don't think it's moto, it think it's the human/pedal powered version.

Right, its BMX
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I personally hope skydiving never gets into the Olympics. And I especially hope nobody asks for it to get in. I feel like asking for the Olympics to include a sport is like begging for someone else's acknowledgement that the sport is valuable.

To me, skydiving is valuable on its own. I don't think someone else has to think it's cool for it to be great fun.

If you read: http://www.fai.org:81/news_archives/fai/000127.asp

It shows that the FAI has been asking for Skydiving to be allowed into the olympics. Asking for the IOC to include a sport is kinda standard practice. There is an application process and such.

Your right though, skydiving is fun just because... but thats a whole other point.

Also, the IOC said that skydiving is NOT a "powered" sport because:

mechanical propulsion is used purely as technical support for the competition in areas unrelated to the sporting performance itself

Do snow skiers in the Winter Olympics hike back up the mountain between runs? That's all I'm saying.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Do snow skiers in the Winter Olympics hike back up the mountain between runs? That's all I'm saying.

No they don't and the IOC agreed that the use of the plane for skydiving is the same thing as a chair lift.
~D

No they don't and the IOC agreed that the use of the plane for skydiving is the same thing as a chair lift.

You're right, I misread that. I thought it said the FAI was arguing that a using a plane to get to altitude does not constitute mechanical assistance; I didn't see the part where it said the IOC had consented that fact.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.