pccoder

Cute and Funny

Not to laugh at someone else's misfortune, but this was really funny to watch. About 3 or 4 months ago I watched an AFF student ( I believe it was her 3rd jump ) in Sebastian, FL. Upon landing the winds were more than she could handle and instead of spending any more time fighting with her canopy which was completely full of air and starting to make her run in its direction as opposed to being drug along the dirt, she chose to cutaway while on the ground. Funny thing was that she also had an RSL which (you guessed it) caused the reserve to fire.

So, no harm no foul. But had to try hard not to snicker a little when she came back to the hanger. :)

PcCoder.net

I'd cutaway if I was starting to get dragged (seriously dragged...) I don't have an RSL, so I don't have to worry about that, but hopefully I'd remember to unhook it if I did...

Or at least hold onto that riser. :)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

***While it WOULD probably cause the reserve pin to be extracted, and the conainer to open, the reserve would probably not be deplyed from the bag. at worst you'd end up with the bag falling out of the container. It will still need a repack, but you wouldn't be dragged away by a deployed reserve...
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Isn't this why you are taught to disconnect the RSL in high winds, water landings etc ???
I nearly had to chop my main, being dragged on my back on 20 meters or so and when I put the hand on the pillow, the canopy stopped. But I had no RSL
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I've seen this happen to numerous people - some experienced some not. A couple of times, the drag started so fast that it wouldn't have mattered what they were doing with their toggles and risers - they simply didn't have enough time to react to the situation.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

...the drag started so fast that it wouldn't have mattered what they were doing with their toggles and risers...

I've always handled potential wind issues with right toggle. I landed once in high wind and went from standing to falling over backward to being dragged in just a couple seconds, and the toggle trick worked.

I just let go of my left toggle and pull the right toggle (and then control line) in with both hands, reeling it in. The canopy turns into a jellyfish and stops causing trouble in no time, from what little experience I have.

Can any canopy escape being tamed on the ground in high wind by this method? One control line pulled far enough can bring 1/4 of the tail all the way to the jumper.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Pulling one toggle all the way to the canopy is exactly how we were taught to handle high-wind situations (medium you just run 180deg round the canopy, therefore making the back of the canopy face the wind),

The tandems have people 'catch' them in high winds - ie as they are landing, grab a toggle and run away from them until the canopy has colapsed.

My wife was jumping a lightly loaded Spectre 190 and got drug on a high wind day. She tried to collapse with one toggle but it didn't work. She chopped it......but she remembered to disconnect her RSL first. Saved me $40. Of course untangling the main sucked.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

My wife was jumping a lightly loaded Spectre 190 and got drug on a high wind day. She tried to collapse with one toggle but it didn't work. She chopped it......but she remembered to disconnect her RSL first. Saved me $40. Of course untangling the main sucked.

Blues,
Nathan

How far did she pull that one toggle in?

It helps to practice this method on a rainy day inside a hangar:

practice by pulling in one brake toggle, then reeling the brake line in hand over hand, then when you get to the end of the brake line, grab the fabric that it's attached to... and start reeling that in hand over hand. Very quickly you have the entire canopy wadded up in your lap, and that certainly won't drag anyone =]

With a little practice in the hangar & practice after landings you can get really fast with this. Some of the ability to do this in windy conditions requires understanding how to grab a bare line and how to pull it without it just sliding through your hand. That takes some practice, but I think the experience is worth the time.

Chris W