GentleTiger

Coming Back After an Injury

I think most of us have been injured in this sport, from being bruised to shattered vertebrae. But some of us come back to the sport from the more severe injuries, I am one of those people. I just love the freedom too much to say goodbye.

How can I come back? That's a question we all ask ourselves as we mentally prepare to skydive again.

First, there was the decision to return to skydiving. That commitment alone is 60% of the preparations.

Secondly, while I was still injured, toward the end of healing, I began training to correct my issues...my issue was butt-sliding. I trained to correct my inadequacy by jumping off of swings, watching the treadmill as it rolled under my feet as I jogged---the speed of landing, generally, is a perception thing. I also talked with people, asking all kinds of questions, I read peoples' posts here, and asked more questions.

So, finally I'm on the plane, and I'm nervous. I don't want to get injured again, and my back wouldn't be able to handle it either.

Rather than getting scared about landing, because I know I'm going to jump, and landing is inevitable, I concentrate on being in the door when I'm at the door. As I'm doing my exit count, I'm concentrating on doing me exit count. As I'm getting stable, that's all I think about...as I'm flaring, that's all I thing about...so there's no worrying about the future.

I also used a coach to tell me when to flare so I could concentrate on landing on my feet or doing a PLF.

I have yet to stand up a landing, but my confidence is coming back because I've been doing PLF's without even thinking about what I'm doing...they just happen now...and it's saved my butt on at least 3 occassions that I can think of.

It takes time and courage to come back, but well worth the journey.

I hope this helps someone out there. B|

bbs,
Tiger

I have yet to stand up a landing, but my confidence is coming back because I've been doing PLF's without even thinking about what I'm doing...they just happen now...and it's saved my butt on at least 3 occassions that I can think of.

Are you saying that you have yet to do a stand-up landing in 44 jumps or since you've started jumping again?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Congrats on your determination to come back.
Please pass on your experience to others, especially jumpers you see landing on their butt intentionally for whatever reason. So many people do not understand the potential dangers of this... we've discussed it on here before, but, please, people, PLF if your not going to stand up your landing and come down hard vertically.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Hi Raistlin,

It took 3 months for the fractures to heal...the doc told me to start "weaning" myself off of the back brace, but, as you can imagine, in it went into the closet, never to come out again. :) That weekend I was back at the dz, bugging an instructor to give me a recurrency jump. Via the weather or unavailable jm's, it was another 6 weeks before I actually got back up in the air.

I was on the Navigator 260, and we're friends again. In fact I hope to jump a Spectre 230 soon.

blues,
Tiger