Liemberg

And once you have tasted flight....

I am positive that I first saw this quote attributed to Lindbergh way back when I first started jumping. It was part of a description of Lindberg's parachute jumps. Could it possibly have been in Russ Gunby's "Sport Parachuting" book?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

this statement is an assumption from someone who believes that no one else could ever imagine the emotional nature of flight without experiencing it first hand...

Now I have the feeling that words I never spoke are put into my mouth...

you said

The quote seems to come from someone with firsthand experience in flying

... there is nothing in the quote that indicates that... you BELIEVE no one could imagine it without firsthand experience, but clearly da Vinci imagined and expressed a number of concepts no before him had envisioned.

from a detailed study of birds (something we can document he did) he came to 'understand' the elation a earth bound creature would feel when they left the bonds they had know all their life...

Projecting human emotions into animals? Are you sure you didn't get St Francis of Assisi mixed up wth Leonardo da Vinci here?

No. predicting the human emotional response based on the observation of animals and a unique understanding of human nature...

... there is nothing in the quote that indicates that...

And once you have tasted beer, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the source of this god-like brew, for drunk you have been and that is what you want to remain... :P

Omar Kayam? Nah, into wine...:)

ref. to murrays: Indeed, I seem to remember to have a print-out from a post in the rec.skydiving newsgroup attached to the wall at the DZ during at least two seasons. It was a story about Lindbergh's parachute jump and it ended with that quote.
I did a google-search on the rec. but only came up with the quote either being attributed to 'anonymous' or da Vinci.

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Could it be true that the following sentence:
And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you long to return
is wrongly attributed to Leonardo da Vinci

snip

If you read any of CL's musings vrs Da Vman, the answer should be clear who to attrib it to.
CL wins hands down.

"exit fast, fly smooth, dock soft and smile"
'nother james

This Lindbergh quote about his first parachute jump is one I definitely remember from way back when:

"A day or two later, when I decided that I too must pass through the experience of a parachute jump, life rose to a higher level, to a sort of exhilarated calmness. The thought of crawling out onto the struts and wires hundreds of feet above the earth, and then giving up even that tenuous hold of safety and of substance, left me a feeling of anticipation mixed with dread, of confidence restrained by caution, of courage salted through with fear. How tightly should one hold onto life? How loosely give it rein? What gain was there for such a risk? I would have to pay in money for hurling my body into space. There would be no crowd to watch and applaud my landing. Nor was there any scientific objective to be gained. No, there was deeper reason for wanting to jump, a desire I could not explain. It was that quality that led me into aviation in the first place — it was a love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the appreciation of beauty. It lay beyond the descriptive words of man-where immortality is touched through danger, where life meets death on equal plane, where man is more than man, and existence both supreme and valueless at the same instant."

Pretty much sums it up doesn't it... "existence both supreme and valueless at the same instant."

Still looking for the other one...
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

"A day or two later, when I decided that I too must pass through the experience of a parachute jump, life rose to a higher level, to a sort of exhilarated calmness. The thought of crawling out onto the struts and wires hundreds of feet above the earth, and then giving up even that tenuous hold of safety and of substance, left me a feeling of anticipation mixed with dread, of confidence restrained by caution, of courage salted through with fear. How tightly should one hold onto life? How loosely give it rein? What gain was there for such a risk? I would have to pay in money for hurling my body into space. There would be no crowd to watch and applaud my landing. Nor was there any scientific objective to be gained. No, there was deeper reason for wanting to jump, a desire I could not explain. It was that quality that led me into aviation in the first place — it was a love of the air and sky and <<
Pretty much sums it up doesn't it... "existence both supreme and valueless at the same instant." >>

Didnt You guys know that it was neither Leonardo Da Vinci nor Charles Lindberg !!!
It was the Silver Surfer !!!! he's been around eons before the evolution of this earth.
B|

Paul

Keeping it real 22x7