Smeger

Worth wearing ankle supports?

Hi all,
Done 3 tandems, soon to do a fourth. Thinking of the AFF course this summer. Been reading a lot of the injury posts and it seems that the most common injury involves the ankle. Just wondered if its worth wearing ankle supports right from the start? Will I benefit in any way or will they cause more hassle than their worth?
Cheers guys and girls (DZ.com rules B|)

There once was a time in the military (using rounds) where everybody was ordered to wear ankle support. The result was that a lot of bones broke just above the support.
Next order: Never wear ankle support.

So if you would ski without using them and feel that you have a normal healthy body - you don't need them. Just pay attention to an exact and well trained PLF. This helpes a lot more.

Have fun,
M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

i twisted my ankle on a downwinder a few weeks back and i had an ankle brace on for my next jump but i really didn't need it ( landed on my arse) but i really don't find that you would need it

Look what i made at work today mom!! Put it on the fridge
http://www.bouda.moonfruit.com

Disclaimer: not a doctor, just someone who's damaged too many joints playing soccer.

I doubt a normal bought-in-a-sports-store-or-pharmacy elastic ankle support would be strong enough to transfer a break to the tib/fib.

However, my major concern would be a weakening of the muscles in your ankle. Ankle supports are not designed to be used with healthy joints - they take too much of the load and with continued use the muscle atrophies.

If you do use one, put it on about 20 minutes before undertaking the exercise, and remove it straight afterwards.