SSkydiver

Drug seizure.....should i buy the rig

Walk away....its a Karma thing.....

Absolutely

Karma my arse, buy it...... BUY IT.....

keep it, then sell it back to this dude for the same price...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

how do you prove either when you did, or did not 'get involved with drugs'?

Good point. I don't know. But if they allege certain dates on the drug charges, and you can show the property was purchased long before that, then that would seem to be valid grounds to exclude it, in my mind.

the cost to successfully pursue this, versus it's actual value would RARELY make this worthwhile.

True, but that's part of the problem - the feds confiscate everything, and then it's up to you to prove that the property wasn't obtained illegally. That's not the way our system is supposed to work. The burden of proof is supposed to be on them to prove that the property was purchased with illegal funds.

That's not the way our system is supposed to work. The burden of proof is supposed to be on them to prove that the property was purchased with illegal funds.

John,

"Innocent until proven guilty" means the burden of proof is on them... to prove that you commited the crime. Once that is satisfied, you are a criminal. Your rights change.

To the original poster,

I missed the post before it was deleted. If I get the tone right. My vote is BUY THE RIG! it's cheap gear, if you don't buy it, another skydiver will... if another skydiver don't buy it... some whuffo will. You'd be doing the incarcerated jumper a service by jumping it and maintaining it and returning it to him at a decent price when he can use it again.

However, judging by a few of the shorter responses, I get the feeling you may have played a small role in getting said "drug dealer" into the position he is in today.

If that were the case and I were you, I wouldn't touch that rig with a 15 foot pole... and I would know that instinctively... without a DZ.com poll.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

That's not the way our system is supposed to work. The burden of proof is supposed to be on them to prove that the property was purchased with illegal funds.

John,

"Innocent until proven guilty" means the burden of proof is on them... to prove that you commited the crime. Once that is satisfied, you are a criminal. Your rights change.

To the original poster,

I missed the post before it was deleted. If I get the tone right. My vote is BUY THE RIG! it's cheap gear, if you don't buy it, another skydiver will... if another skydiver don't buy it... some whuffo will. You'd be doing the incarcerated jumper a service by jumping it and maintaining it and returning it to him at a decent price when he can use it again.

However, judging by a few of the shorter responses, I get the feeling you may have played a small role in getting said "drug dealer" into the position he is in today.

If that were the case and I were you, I wouldn't touch that rig with a 15 foot pole... and I would know that instinctively... without a DZ.com poll.

Now thats pretty fucked up to even assume that. The way this came across is that i was in law enforcement and i know several cops and these cops know i jump. When this happened at the house they saw the rig and all and mentioned it to me if it were seized it would go up in auction. They were giving me the heads up on the rig. Thats the jist to the whole story. I only know he jumps at the dz i do because of log book and other papers found with the rig. As far as rating him out to everyone, that wasnt the case if you read the post right. I made mention to the DZO and only the DZO. And i'll tell you one thing, its like others have said, if i didnt get it another jumper would. Lets just "assume here seeing how everyone does. If someone told you the had lets say a VooDoo rig with a Crossfire 2 169, a PD 160 reserve, cypress and it fit and its only 1 year old with 200 jumps and the price is $1500 and they got it from another skydiver, you may decide not to buy it but you sure as fuck would think about it real hard. I guaranfuckintee you someone from 100 jumps to 5000 jumps would buy it without thinking twice about it. Hell man, i could have named names and the whole nine yards and not even ask the question here. But you know, bottom line is i say nothing and if i can buy the rig i will and i will put it in a closet and hold till i can find the guy so he can get it back

What happens to the rig if nobody else buys it?

Is it a legit rig, eg can you check if it has been stolen, I know of at least one Texas jumper who has had her rig stolen.....It was a Javelin in Deguello colours. PM me if it looks anything like this....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

no, originally it said that he had his house raided due to gunshots reported by neighbors. it seems that some people were thinking that by telling the dzo he was wanted in case they come looking for him, he was ratting someone out. this is not the case, it is simply letting friends know there may be a possibility of heat looking for him and giving them a chance to hide their questionable activities.

What happens to the rig if nobody else buys it?

Is it a legit rig, eg can you check if it has been stolen, I know of at least one Texas jumper who has had her rig stolen.....It was a Javelin in Deguello colours. PM me if it looks anything like this....

Good question, i'm not sure but if it did go to auction i'm sure there are plenty of people in the auction business that would know how to get someone to but it.. Not sure about the rig being ligit, i have not seen it and for all that i'm aware of it belong to the guy.

no, originally it said that he had his house raided due to gunshots reported by neighbors. it seems that some people were thinking that by telling the dzo he was wanted in case they come looking for him, he was ratting someone out. this is not the case, it is simply letting friends know there may be a possibility of heat looking for him and giving them a chance to hide their questionable activities.

EXACTLY......There is a God

And as my post said, I didn't get in before the original post was deleted... got the impression from other posts that this MIGHT be the case. Reference to the fact that you used to be in law enforcement reinforced the possibility.

I make no judgements either way but realised my opinion (and that's what was asked of me) would be different depending... so I provided you both opinions.

Off my nuts! lol

So, buy the rig dude! You have nothing to do with him losing it so it's not like adding insult to injury. Nothing to worry about. B|

Nope. Not buying. If i did buy it it would be to get it back to the guy who lost it, and he can pay me what i had to pay to get it. Thats what alot of people mentioned and thats the right thing to do. As far as me and law enforcement, i USED to be in law enforcement. It was fun but unless i see serious violations of the law where life is in danger, i dont get involved as should be the same for everone else for the most part.

And as my post said, I didn't get in before the original post was deleted... got the impression from other posts that this MIGHT be the case. Reference to the fact that you used to be in law enforcement reinforced the possibility.

I make no judgements either way but realised my opinion (and that's what was asked of me) would be different depending... so I provided you both opinions.

Off my nuts! lol

So, buy the rig dude! You have nothing to do with him losing it so it's not like adding insult to injury. Nothing to worry about. B|

Just curious ? why would they seize your skydiving rig ....do they just take everything ?................If you do buy it back and sell it to the guy cheap when he gets back in the air that'd be a class act right there. Kind of like hey were on opposites sides of the law but were both skydivers so here's your rig back if you want it for XXX dollars..... thatd rock

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

Nope. Not buying.

Jason, you're a gentleman and a scholar for the amount of consideration you have already given this matter. At least go with what your collegues are telling you.

If i did buy it it would be to get it back to the guy who lost it, and he can pay me what i had to pay to get it.

That sounds good to me. If you can make use of the rig in the interim, then I truly don't see ANY reason why you should not do it though. I'm putting myself in that dudes shoes right now and boy am I ever exstatic to see my baby when I come out... and then to hear she's been put to good use getting some flight time while I could not? Awesome.

As far as me and law enforcement, i USED to be in law enforcement. It was fun but unless i see serious violations of the law where life is in danger, i dont get involved as should be the same for everone else for the most part.

Amen to that!... well not just when life is in danger...

(about notifying the DZO) ... this is not the case, it is simply letting friends know there may be a possibility of heat looking for him and giving them a chance to hide their questionable activities

You see? gentleman and a scholar B|

Buy the rig dude... Buy it and Jump it tons!

Nick