obelixtim

A licence sample test. Your answers/opinions please.

OK, I came across this sample test for an AFF candidate sitting a test for A licence. I'm interested to see the responses to this test if you have a little time to complete it, I'm interested to see any variation in answers, because some of the questions seem a bit ambiguous. Some seem a bit silly even.

Appreciate answers from anyone/everyone, not just A licence holders.

Also I'd like opinions on whether you think the questions are appropriate/adequate for an A licence test. Thanks in advance.

Parachutist Certificate Exam

1. Describes your emergency procedures in the event of a malfunction?

2. Describe your canopy checks?

3. It is important to check your parachute equipment at what times?

4. You should check your deployment handles in what order?

5. Upon canopy deployment you are facing another
canopy, the fastest way to turn your
parachute out of the possible collision is?

6. Your main canopy opens with line twists, your immediate response is?

7. Under canopy you find yourself at 3000ft down wind of the 2000ft or holding point. Your response should be?

8. What is your minimum decision altitude that you should carry out your emergency procedures if you are unable to control your main parachute?

9. Your left hand flight path is going to take you over the centre of the PLA below500ft, your best response will be?

10. Correctly list the landing priority order?

11. Which correctly lists the deployment priority rules?

12. You have ended up having to land off the PLA, your new intended landing point is in a clear paddock but the surface is on the side of a hill. The wind direction is blowing directly up the hill. What should be your landing direction?

13. You are coming in to dock on a formation. You should never?

14. Is it possible to land your canopy on half brakes?

15. On your final turn for landing you find you are traveling very fast. You look up and find you are landing down wind. Your reaction should be?

16. The PLA is surrounded by obstacles of trees and buildings, careful flight and concentration is required to land in the PLA. The obstacles that you can’t see on first glance may well include?

17. Your equipment is fitted with an AAD that is fitted to?

18. You are in the second group to leave the aircraft. You look out the door and see the first group falling directly below the aircraft as opposed to falling away on about a 45º
angle from the door. This indicates to you that?

19. The correct exit order for different free fall disciplines is?

20. You are flying a sport canopy in a load of 20 other
canopies. Who has the right of way over you?

21. When is your skydive deemed to be over?

22. The life and performance of your skydiving equipment can be greatly reduced by ................................?

My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

>look, locate, peel, pull, punch (i'm old and assuming this is A license stuff you're not supposed to think about it:) further on its more complicated than that but it would take a book to describe and I'm not experienced enough to write it :))
Big, rectangular, no malfunction per the pictures I have been shown. Is it controllable enough to be confident that landing it wont damage me.
Vague. In the UK we have a mandatory 3rd person check on flight line. Most people will check on the walk out and on the way to altitude, plus a cypress reserve pin check at least once a day at the start of jumping.
Is order important? Having a regular check process is important and logically it would be hackey, cutaway, reserve which also reinforces the memory muscle and so the automatic response. But I don't always check in that order.
5. Upon canopy deployment you are facing another canopy, the fastest way to turn your parachute out of the possible collision is?
Rear right riser if head on, appropriate riser if not (no point in right risering straight into the oncoming canopy)
Check altitude
7. Under canopy you find yourself at 3000ft down wind of the 2000ft or holding point. Your response should be?
Fly to the holding area, if you cant then another book is needed to answer the question
8. What is your minimum decision altitude that you should carry out your emergency procedures if you are unable to control your main parachute?
At you hard deck, which depends on lots of things
9. Your left hand flight path is going to take you over the centre of the PLA below500ft, your best response will be?
Way to many answers, eg its a left hand pattern and you've come in too early so skip the base leg and S off in final
Wings level, Flare, Avoid Hazards, Into wind
Is it big and rectangular? Is the airspace clear? Does it fly properly (flare). Where is and how do I get back to the PLA
12. You have ended up having to land off the PLA, your new intended landing point is in a clear paddock but the surface is on the side of a hill. The wind direction is blowing directly up the hill. What should be your landing direction?
Into wind
Possible answers include shoot people, shit yourself, dump someone out, pull a reserve handle, clamp on someone and stay there till you both go in, etc. Stupid question but maybe directly related to some training material I don't have access to ;)
Yes
15. On your final turn for landing you find you are traveling very fast. You look up and find you are landing down wind. Your reaction should be?
Flare at the normal height and PLF
16. The PLA is surrounded by obstacles of trees and buildings, careful flight and concentration is required to land in the PLA. The obstacles that you can’t see on first glance may well include?
Telegraph/electricity poles and lines, lions tigers snakes and crocodiles, small but very deep holes leading to hell
your equipment... this test is getting hard to take seriously. Your reserve closing loop if its a modern aad.

18. You are in the second group to leave the aircraft. You look out the door and see the first group falling directly below the aircraft as opposed to falling away on about a 45ºangle from the door. This indicates to you that?
Wait until they are at 45º as the wind is honking at altitude. There are a number posts from yonks ago that suggest weakness in the 45º approach. Whats the current thinking?
Simply, FF big to small, flat big to small, tandem, aff, ws. Read the Bryan Burke article for a better understandng
20. You are flying a sport canopy in a load of 20 other canopies. Who has the right of way over you?
Low person has right of way, be careful around student and novices, you may have right of way but a 300ft canopy collision is not something to use to prove you right, assuming you like living.
When the beer light goes on :) When the canopy is on the ground? When the debrief is done? When you quit skydiving for whatever reason?
22. The life and performance of your skydiving equipment can be greatly reduced by ................................?

Immersing it in hydroflouric acid. Very stupid question

I'm a little drunk so please take everything with a pinch of salt ;)
Rich M

Thanks for your response Rich...yes I thought there were a number of answers which could be answered stupidly but technically correctly e.g. Q18....."gravity is working".

I don't know who came up with this test, but it is actually in use, the composer doesn't seem like a very bright spark at all. Some of the questions would be more appropriate at 1st jump level.....I would like to see a question or two about how to determine the exit point, detail an equipment check, setting AAD's, jumping at different elevations etc etc...much more appropriate for someone who at A licence is about to be turned loose.

However, it would be good to see a lot more responses to see what others think.

I'll bite because I'm bored...and the World Series is going as expected. Up front...this is rather poorly worded "quiz" with respect to some questions.

Questions 7, 9, 12, 13, 16, 17, 18 are poorly worded / confusing / whatever.

At any rate, pretending I'm a pre-licensed student:

look, locate, peel, punch, pull
is it there, square, and stable. flare, left, right, flare.
before you put it on, in the loading area, before you exit
in the order that you use them

rears. right, typically, though that isn't true for 100% of situations; depends where you're heading
check altitude.
Fly to holding area. If you're not going to make the holding area and regular pattern decide on an alternate by 2000 ft.
Whatever your hard deck is…
Too many variables. At which point am I at in the pattern?
Wing level, land in an open area, flare to at least half brakes, prepare to PLF
Pull, Pull at the correct altitude, Pull while stable
What altitude am I at? Too many variables to answer.
Use the formation to stop
Yes
Land like normal and prepare to PLF
Turbulence?
I would assume the reserve closing loop…
18. You are in the second group to leave the aircraft. You look out the door and see the first group falling directly below the aircraft as opposed to falling away on about a 45º

Didn't' learn how to properly calculate free fall separation...?
RW large to small, FF large to small, higher deployment at X altitude, students, tandems, high clear and pull, wing suit

Canopies below you
When you and your canopy are both on the ground
Exposure to sunlight

obelixtim

18. You are in the second group to leave the aircraft. You look out the door and see the first group falling directly below the aircraft as opposed to falling away on about a 45º angle from the door. This indicates to you that?

a) you are jumping from a hot air balloon or

b) there is a huge windshear just below jump run altitude: the head wind the plane is flying into sits just above a tail wind immediately below it. The speed of that tail wind exactly matches the ground speed of the plane.

If it's a list of questions for an oral exam/discussion with the A license candidate, it's not horrible, as the instructor administering the exam can clarify or ask follow up questions. As a stand-alone written exam, it might be more problematic, as mentioned by other posters. Guess it would depend on how the exam is administered - in the U.S., it's a sit-down discussion between the instructor and candidate.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

If it's a list of questions for an oral exam/discussion with the A license candidate, it's not horrible, as the instructor administering the exam can clarify or ask follow up questions. As a stand-alone written exam, it might be more problematic, as mentioned by other posters. Guess it would depend on how the exam is administered - in the U.S., it's a sit-down discussion between the instructor and candidate.

Not sure how it is administered but I have an inkling it is able to be completed and submitted on line, and evaluated by an outside assessor.

It is poorly done IMO, as this kind of stuff should be taught to the student as they progress through their training, until at the end the Instructor can sign them off for their licence. Most of it is basic knowledge, and some of it is so ambiguous as to be useless.

I don't see the need for a formal written exam at this stage at all, yet it is a pre requisite before this organisation issues an A licence.

I'm thinking the people who set this up have no real idea of what they are doing, looking at it from my POV as a professional educator, as well as an Instructor/examiner, they seem to have made a pigs ear out of what should be a fairly straight forward exercise.

Fresh USPA A-Licensed here.

obelixtim

look red, grab red, look silver, pull red, clear cables, grab silver, pull silver, clear cable. Pray.

Square, slider down, stearable, flearable... landable.

before putting it on, in the boarding area, another time before getting on the plane, ideally asking for a gear check, on the plane do the "checks of 3" and before leaving the plane ask for a pin check and do a quick handle check while walking to the door.

the order you use them.

rear slider turn.

look around for other canopies, assess if flying straight and relatively slow, kick it out.

locate an alternative entry to the patter and fly from there, if I can't make to the original holding area.

2500ft

What is the PLA?

Land with straight canopy, straight canopy and flare, straight canopy and flare into wind.

pull, pull @ right altitude, pull @ right altitude and stable body position.

mmhhh.... I'll take a crosswind and land going parallel to the hill. Never landed off, so my main concern would really be to land in a clear area and with a straight canopy more than the wind direction itself, honestly.

Not sure what do you mean exactly here.

Yes.
Suck it up, buttcacke. Too late to turn at that point, take the down wind like a man.

cables and lines between buildings. Turbulence from bigger obstacles is also part of the game.
Not sure what this means. What does the AAD do?

The upper winds there are pretty strong.

Depends from dz to dz and a buch of other things, I noted.

The guys flying lower than me, generally?

when I drop the rig in the packing area.

carelessly handling

I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Look, Locate, Peel, Pull, Punch, Arch.

Is it the right shape? Is anything broken? Can I control it? (Square, Sound, Stable)

Kinda a wierdly phrased question. It depends on the checks. For me:
Before gearing up. Before emplaning. Handle checks on the plane. Before exit. After landing. during packing.

In my mind, I only have one deployment handle. So that one first.

Right toggle all the way down.

Is it the right shape? Is it broken? Is it spinning hard? If no - kick out. If yes, or if I can't kick out - chop.

??? Turn into the wind?

1200ft

??? Depends - how big is the PLA? If it's large enough, stick with it. If I'm heading for an obstacle, flat turn and take a cross wind / downwind as necessary.

Wing level. Flare. Into wind.

Pull. Pull Stable. Pull stable at the right altitude.

Across the hill.

Shit yourself.

Yes

Flare as normal and prepare to PLF like a champion.

eh? Anything. Rocks. Spectators hiding in the grass. Landmines. Attack gophers. :S

The container. - Although I think they're looking for 'the reserve', which is incorrect.

Fuck all.

Students. Flat. Freefly. Tracking. AFF. Tandem. Wingsuits.

Anyone lower and students.

Back in the hanger.

:SJust about everything. Using it. Sand. UV. Dog piss. Smoke. Fire. High Explosives.

Di0

rear slider turn.

What's a slider turn?

Do you mean a riser turn? If so, that's not the quickest way to turn a canopy.
Most efficient? Yup - but don't go to your risers in an emergency. Toggles all the way! ;)

Di0

The upper winds there are pretty strong.

Depends from dz to dz and a buch of other things, I noted.

You're right that it tends to differ, but it really shouldn't - at least not much.

Do lots of reading on here about exit order, particularly about the 45 degree rule and why you need to stay away from anyone using it.

Thanks for the replies, I too would be tempted to add some stupid answers to some of the questions.

We are seeing some variations though, although, keep in mind that they need to be anwered from the POV of an A licence candidate...so hard decks, for example should be a little higher for them than the 1200 feet that an experienced jumper might have.

I'd like to see a few answers from recently qualified A licence jumpers, just to see any variations, as well as some answers from experienced jumpers, especially instructors, just to get some different opinions.

Really appreciate the time people are putting in to providing feedback. Thanks.

yoink

What's a slider turn?

Do you mean a riser turn? If so, that's not the quickest way to turn a canopy.
Most efficient? Yup - but don't go to your risers in an emergency. Toggles all the way! ;)

Yes, sorry, rear RISERS turn. My bad.
And if you are facing a canopy collision, I stand my case, rear risers might be the quickest option, meaning you might not have time to unstow your brakes if it happens right after deployment. If you already unstowed your brakes and you're holding them when it happens, yes, I agree toggles.
But my grasp of the question was "what if it happens seconds after deployment", in that case I think the best response is turn right with rear risers, also because probably your hands are already holding on your rear risers, since that is the natural reaction to the "deployment yank".
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head

yoink

You're right that it tends to differ, but it really shouldn't - at least not much.

Do lots of reading on here about exit order, particularly about the 45 degree rule and why you need to stay away from anyone using it.

I have been to two different DZs and, that different reasonings, they have the exact opposite exit order between free-fliers and belly fliers (of course, wingsuits are always last).
Now, I have read the article posted on here, most recently two good ones by Brian Burke that were strongly recommended to me by one of my coaches.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/General_Safety/Implications_of_Recent_Tracking_Tracing_and_Wingsuit_Incidents_938.html

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/General_Safety/The_Horizontal_Flight_Problem_935.html

All related to the exit order and separation problems.

Now, yes, I understand what you're trying to say. At the same time, I am a 35ish jumps skydiver so I will do whatever the rules in place in the DZ I am jumping at say.
Those article should be given to the ST&A, maybe, and he should be the one in charge of deciding if actions to change the exit orders are required. From my point of view, I don't know enough to take any strategical decision of that level and I do whatever the ST&A, Instructors, coaches, DZ&Os tell me. When I'll have thousands of jumps and saw my good share of shit happening (hopefully from far enough), then I'll speak my voice. Right now, I say it varies from DZ to DZ because the newly licensed jumper usually doesn't have much decision power.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head

One hand on each handle, peel punch right while arching, punch left.

There, square, steerable.

Before and during gearup, before getting on the plane. Check of 3s before exit (3 rings 3 handles 3 attachment points).

Order of use. Personally I check mine in reverse on the plane.

Rear riser turn.

Check for traffic, check altitude.

Not enough Information. ..

I believe the student recommendation is 2500' but for me its 1500'.

Not enough information...

Wing level, into an open area, flare and prepare to PLF.

Pull, pull at the correct altitude, pull stable.

Into the wind if possible.

Reach.

IN half brakes. Yes.

Take the downwinder, or flat turn if you have the altitude.

Turbulence, rocks, fences, holes...

The container.

That whoever came up with this test needs Kallend to explain why the 45 degree 'rule' is bullshit.

Belly freefly tandems AFF wingsuiters all largest to smallest.

Lower canopies and reserves.

When I am back in the hanger.

Lots of things.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...