Phillbo

Who sets the number of jumps required to participate in a Boogie.

I was planing to wrap up my water training and B license requirements before the SkyDive Arizona Boogie in Mexico next month but just read that they require 100 jumps. A bit disapointed but I respect the number.
Is this number set by the DZ holding the boogie or is 100 jumps required to jump over water ? I figured the B license would give you the ability to jump over water.

Just curious.

Ok, I can't believe I'm gonna ask this (I'm sure I'll sound like a complete idiot) but, whats a Boogie?
I have never jumped before (looking to do my first tandem this summer) and I've been reading these forums for a while- but I still haven't figured out what a "Boogie" is.
Please be kind with your remarks- and at least try to hold back the laughter... :$

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

A group of skydivers gathered together to party and jump.

Often it involves a special location (eg. beach) or special aircraft or similar. The Dropzone.com Holiday Boogie is a good example: everyone heads off to Skydive Arizona and jumps and parties for a week. For some folk it's an opportunity to jump larger aircraft, or to get on more difficult/unusual skydives. For others it's just a chance to run around naked :P.

The beach landing area could be a bit difficult, depending on wind conditions and crowds. IMO, 100 jumps is a very reasonable minimum.

I agree with the requirement, was just curious as to who sets it .. It sounds like the DZ hosting the boogie sets the participation requirements.

I'm very familiar with the beach in from of Playa Bonita and it will be cross wind landings with drunks running everywhere..

As long as a newbie with less than 100 jumps can lay on the beach drinking Modelos and watch the action I'm cool with it ;)

The DZ sets the requirements for the particular boogie, by establishing the dificulty involved in the specific location. Factors to consider are not only the landing area, but also the availability of alternate landing areas, for landing "out". Many beachfront communities have very dense land usage near the beach, so off-landings may be very dificult.

Sometimes the requirements are limited by the USPA, "by proxy". The USPA establishes minimum sizes for the landing area for the difference licenses, and then the boogie operator will require the license required for the available landing area.

Since this boogie is in Mexico, the USPA's landing area requirement don't apply, but the operator has chosen requirement which come close to the USPA's anyways.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.