Nickkk

Newbie Skydiving Books

Hello!

I am new to the forums and did my first tandem while i was on vacation in Miami. I LOVED IT! and will be starting my AFF training on the 11th.

I was wondering if there are any good books out there to read, or even movies or websites. Im looking for as much info as i can get, so if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!

;)

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!

Get Poynter's Parachute Manual, Vol II, and keep it in your bathroom. In a year you'll know a lot about parachutes.

Also get a Para-Gear catalog. It's filled with charts and things that do a good job explaining the differences in gear.

There is a myriad of self help skydiving books on the market these days (check Square One) but knowing your gear is the most important thing.

Everything else is just practice . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Good books to get are "Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook" and "Jump". Also get the para gear catalog so you can put a face to the products you hear about.

-Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

I'd avoid The Parachute Manual Volume II (recommended by another poster) for a while. It's mostly a bunch of information about older parachutes that is more useful for riggers than conventional jumpers. A much better book on that topic is "The Parachute and It's Pilot" by Brian Germain.

I'd also strongly suggest "Parachuting: The Skydivers Handbook" by Poynter and Turoff.

I've got to add a quick plug for my book, "JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy." It's a good overview for whuffos interested in what the sport is all about, and will certainly help you answer questions from you old non-skydiving friends.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I'd also strongly suggest "Parachuting: The Skydivers Handbook" by Poynter and Turoff.

During my AFF/student phase, I must have re-read, highlighted and dog-eared this book to near rags. It helped!! I felt ahead of the curve during my jumps--although it didn't do much to settle my nerves or cure my stiff-as-a-board body position. I knew how to set up my landing patterns, became more familiar with emergency procedures and knew what to expect from my coming jumps.
“Keep your elbow up!"